Cop Shooting Thread

There are exemptions though. And the police probably use this one all the time:

(1) Reasonably acting to protect a person or a person’s property from damage;

Where “reasonable” for a police officer is akin to “they felt like it,” in most cases.

Perhaps, but his own words later in the video contradict this defense as he explicitly states the dog got shot due to the homeowner’s refusal to walk to the road.

Sure, but only because it was filmed and he was extra stupid.

Most of the time there is no footage and the officer doesn’t say anything utterly idiotic on camera.
Cops can kill your dog basically at-will and do.

I don’t disagree at all. Just in this specific instance there is evidence against this defense.

This whole thread is about cops being able to kill anyone and anything they want pretty much any time they want.

Hell, a cop killed an innocent man in his own home and it was questionable whether she’d even get indicted.

No way in hell was the dog acting vicious or aggressive towards the officer. It acted more playful and inquisitive.

I think this is sadly true in a lot of cases of force against pets.

But I say let the guy go to court and argue in front of a jury that a 6 lb dog threatened his or his property’s safety.

Loud barking pit bull, it is still an awful abuse of power, but you could more reasonably assume danger, but a chihuahua ain’t gonna do shit but scuff your boots.

Yes, exactly. He may have a defense, but let him offer it and see if it flies.

Why is this asshole cracking jokes with his hashtags over this shit? It’s a tragedy.

The thing that really burns my ass is how taxpayers get to pay for all these settlements about public servant malfeasance.

You’d think it would push them towards fixing things, but it never does.
So really it’s on said taxpayers.

It’s not really the kind of thing we are empowered to deal with, if we want to deal with the generally larger issues that face our communities :/

You’d think this would be the case, but dollar-for-dollar cops seem actually pretty loyal to the people who pay their salaries IMO. Especially if said tax payers are white I guess.

(Assuming I’m reading these charts correctly. And I know the charts don’t include county & state taxes, so I’m generalizing. And not all communities are exactly the same, etc.)

It’s not that you’re generalizing, it’s that virtually no one we would call a ‘cop’ gets paid by Federal taxes.

This is really what you’re looking for. Local taxes tend to be regressive, not progressive, because they’re most often sales and excise taxes.

Ah, thanks. I should have looked harder. But it doesn’t necessarily nullify my point. Even in a (moderately) regressive income tax system more salary monies could be coming from the rich on a per-person basis. The same can be true for sales taxes and excise taxes depending on how many goods a wealthy person purchases. (But there’s for instance only so much alcohol or tobacco a single individual can consume…)

No, not in the aggregate. Local governments get a lot of funding from state and federal governments, which are in turn funded by federal and state income taxes and property taxes, but those funds largely go to support schools and housing programs. I’m sure there are some federal and state transfers to cops, but it’s a small portion. After that, it’s mostly sales taxes, excise taxes and service fees. There are a lot more not-rich people than rich ones.

Cops support wealthy people because wealthy people have power. They’re the ones who run things, and the cops work for them.

Edit: I shouldn’t say ‘no’. Numbers are difficult to find. But I doubt that income taxes from rich people constitute a greater portion of a cop’s salary than all other revenue sources, and I doubt that rich people contribute more revenue to sales taxes, excise taxes, service fees than all other people combined.

Only 2% of local revenue coming (directly) from income taxes is much lower than I had guessed!

But let me throw this idea out: a single large hypothetical kickback from a multi-millionaire might be more attractive than a hundred smaller hypothetical kickbacks from poorer people. It would be easier to hide, at least. There must be some analogous but mostly legal mechanism in the tax code?

Anyway, I still think money is the bigger factor along with shared “values” since everyone knows the poor have no values. /s

Our daily reminder that cops are people too. Trained people with really, really poor judgement.

Hendren’s partner told Hendren and Alix “that they shouldn’t be playing with guns and that they were police officers,” police said in the statement.

“He felt uncomfortable with them playing with guns and didn’t want to have any part of it and started to leave."

Hendren took the gun back and pulled the trigger.

“As [Hendren's partner] left the room but before leaving the apartment, he heard a shot," police said.

Alix was struck in the chest.

Hopefully investigators will do more than take their word for this.