Cop Shooting Thread

Well I am not making a judgment so much as sharing with you that she was fatally shot, and they are not releasing who fired that shot, yet.

Yes, I’m sure we’ll get the full story here. We should wait for the official Kentucky state trooper’s report of course, and the investigation by the trooper’s own police force.

In the mean time I guess we can create our own reality and get pissed off at that.

Yeah, I don’t give cops the benefit of the doubt anymore. Call me crazy. I’ll be happy to say I’m wrong if the evidence proves otherwise.

Yea, I can tell. Facts just don’t matter to you at all.

What are you talking about. There are no facts that support either position. It says right there it is unclear who fired the shot.

I’m talking about rowe33 not waiting for the facts before placing the blame.

The only thing he is doing is making the opposite assumption you are.

I haven’t made any assumptions. I’m waiting for the facts.

Okay. Sure.

This response annoys me because now you’re painting me as a liar and a hypocrite on this matter.

Kind of like how your opening question wasn’t really a question annoyance, or more like how you responded to the line that makes others question what happened with an obvious beef, oh I mean “butter”.

I mean seriously, as least he admits his bias.

And you just assume mine.

My bias is that I’m tired of seeing people getting enraged at tragedies when we don’t actually know anything other than what a breaking story tells us. This is on the same level as throwing out insults towards Muslim terrorists after news breaks about a car running down a half a dozen people at a park or someone shooting up a night club. In situations like these I’d like to wait for the facts before choosing someone to get pissed at.

This is a tragedy worthy of being enraged about. A young woman is dead, shot to death in a country with too many guns. Whether the cop is responsible or the abductor, it remains a terrible and anger inducing tragedy. The information is so thin here though that they don’t even say how many shots were fired.

So if it’s okay with you, I will be enraged that this happened, but for different reasons.

It is perfectly okay to be enraged that this happened, and to assign partial blame to a society that makes it possible for this to happen. But I’m not ready to put the killing weapon in anybody’s hand just yet. It’s premature.

The information is so thin here though that they don’t even say how many shots were fired.

Which only underlines my repeated point that there’s just not enough information available for this breaking story to start assigning personal blame for a kill shot. Because we both agree, at this particular point in time the investigation is early and the facts aren’t yet available.

Yes. We agree on this. I think its’ a little weird they don’t actually talk about how many shots were fired. I thought that might be earlier kind of info, but it sounds like this happened in the street, so it might be hard to get that info early on.

I don’t know that it is really possible to be truly be neutral in these cop shootings anymore. I think at the very least someone is going to tilt one way or another and then facts come out. Like ABC is reporting there was a custody issue.

But that still doesn’t explain the shots. I mean the way they are reporting it, a chase that ends in two shots… exactly? I’m going to assume maybe the cop had the shot, and if the officer didn’t do anything wrong… might spend the rest of their life asking why they didn’t take it sooner. It’s just bad all around.

But I am making assumptions too, and you can’t really help but do that to some extent.

Kidnap scenarios are just awful. It seems pretty nasty to use one as more ammunition for your cause when you don’t know what happened. Unlike a lot of the other reports here it’s perfectly plausible that the cop behaved reasonably. It’s not like there’s any shortage of much clearer examples of police racist murder.

The gun in the victims lap was stolen, loaded, and had an illegal (extended, i believe) magazine.

When first hearing this story, i was more inclined to side with law enforcement’s take of it. But reading through the article, and hearing some of the news reports, makes me feel they executed someone for the crime of falling asleep and being startled when he woke up.

There just seems to be about 50 ways this could have been resolved without 6 officers firing into a car.

Some of the early reports on that particular case leave you wondering why cops would shoot into a vehicle they know an innocent person is in. It’s not as if it was unknown that a victim was in the car. The only justification, to do date, for that officer shooting into the car is he says he heard a gunshot and felt he and the passenger was in danger. That requires someone to take the officers word, and they don’t have to.

The basic facts are pretty simple. The police knew that the suspect had the victim in the car. The suspect and the victim (both black) were both shot dead. Even if the police report says the suspect most likely killed the victim himself, why should I believe that? We see that sort of cover up all the time. It’s not like Kentucky state troopers haven’t been caught lying under oath in the past couple of years.