Coronavirus 2019

The long version was worth a read. I liked the bit about the pizza boxes piling up.

There is always an audience for racism, always people eager to find scapegoats. It has probably worked since the first hominid tribes found another tribe living in the next valley. It’s such an easy fucking button to push in difficult times.

I love* it when the media blames “the media” for misinformation.

I always appreciate how your usual contributions to threads are these funny absurdities but then you drop a great post like that. That was like the most anti-JMJ post I’ve personally seen you write, JMJ. :)

Raucous applause!

Plus a shitload of PPE, ventilators, and consistent coordinated informed national leadership.

BTW, the new idea coming from Trumpists (after “Just get the economy rolling and Gramma and Grandpa have had nice lives and are happy to die to boost your 401K” failed to really capture the public’s fancy) is now shifting to "Get the economy rolling by sending people back to work, but keep at risk population – elders and those who are immunocompromised – in strict quarantine for their own ‘protection’.

Yes indeed. We could maybe send the at-risk population to nice camps. Maybe on trains. Give it a catchy name like “Lebensunwerten” or something.

Good thoughts, DJT, time to get on it.

Question - if anyone knows - for the stimulus package, with regards to going off 2018 tax returns (in the event someone was lazy and hasn’t done 2019 yet, for instance) are they giving out $500 per kid that was a dependent on that tax return, or currently? I had two kids in 2018! I mean, I still have two kids, but one doesn’t live home starting late last year…

I don’t think anyone knows that level of detail yet. In fact, I haven’t seen a reference to using 2018’s returns since we first saw the Senate Republican initial proposal. No idea if that survived. I know the House Democrat proposal was to just give everyone money and sort it out based on 2020’s tax returns next year.

I wish someone would produce videos of Trump’s press conferences with all lies bleeped out with one sound, and all racism bleeped out with another sound.

It would just be both sounds, continuously, right?

Probably some breaks for taking a breath

Well, when he points to a reporter and says, “Yes, you,” that might be unbleeped.

So basically this:

Oh! People were talking about it just a few hours ago in this thread so I assumed it was legit. Thanks!

NPR’s reporting on it earlier said 2019 taxes if you’ve already filed them, 2018 if you have not. They didn’t specify any more detail than that, but that sounds to me like they would look for dependents on a return. How they would tell the age of the dependent? No idea. A lot of people claim their parents, or other relatives living with them.

Bummer that IBM finalized the Red Hat purchase last year. I think that probably pushed me over the limit. At least we are talking about adding reqs for our team and not laying off, so could be much worse.

This is pretty cool. A friend who has degrees in public health mentioned that he saw immediate application for portable air purification for hospital workers especially.

As an aside, this P&R forum is just about the most polite political forum I’ve seen on the internet. If someone is getting chased off the forum based on the levels of rancor it contains, they really aren’t meant for the internet at all. Perhaps in prior years when I didn’t much venture to this dark corner of the site things were far worse, but I really don’t see much of the oft mentioned toxicity of the P&R forum. Even the occasional vitriol is relatively minor in relation to the internet in general.

[citation and time machine requested]