Coronavirus 2019

If N people had it in a small town (where you tested everyone) and say 20% of those needed medical attention and 4% of those died, then you can rule out things like “<1 in a thousand need medical attention”.

So 1200 per person now, 500 per kid, then another 600 a week per person? That’s going to be a godsend for so many people if true.

Spot on. Also, remember the first major presser DJT had about the coronavirus (I believe it was the first one, with Fauci et al there), where he was asked about airline bailouts etc, and he said, “yes, we’ll be helping them, this wasn’t their fault”?

When I heard that I knew he was setting up the narrative that none of this is his fault. He was the best presidant evar until this chinese virus hit. Never mind that his own incompetence squandered the only advantage the US had - a 2 month+ head start. And his own incompetence will make this far worse than it needed to be.

But yeah, china virus, not my fault.

I don’t understand why they don’t just deposit the stimulus funds in everyone’s trust fund. Seems like a much easier way to disperse the money.

Hey, who wants a bad idea? The Federalist has you covered.

We’ll see today’s numbers, but it makes sense. Two big, very dense cities with high number of initial cases. In Lombardy it started in smaller communities.

I eagerly await the results of the self infection of everyone at the Federalist office. Stiff upper lip and good show, chaps.

It’s just the flu, after all.

You first, Federalist pricks. By the way, who funds the Federalist again? (common reply to any post by Federalist folks on twitter)

That’s a really excellent point so thank you for making it. It’s not that we should condone it, it’s just that we should ignore it and most things that come out of Trumps mouth. Trumps MO is to create controversy and then “solve” it (stop creating the problem) or retreat while blaming it on a third party. All of this is in service of his two main goals which I see as:

1. Keep media and people talking about a narrative he controls.

2. Keep discussion centered on a topic that isn’t his incompetence/shortcomings/failures

I totally pegged his “reopen by Easter” BS as an attempt at his standard play, but it totally sailed by me that the “China virus” nonsense is the same play.

Once again, any solution relying on “herd immunity” for controlling the infection spread assumes hundreds of thousands dead in the US alone, so is worse than useless.

If you are really anxious to become infected with COVID-19, become a healthcare worker. It’s not really voluntary in that case, of course.

The gaps between NY, Washington, and California there are unreal. All of these deaths probably result from infections before susbstantial controls were introduced, so what is going on?

Is it climactic? Is there a more virulent strain of the disease? Is there some social factor (public transport?) We need to understand this stuff when devising the policies for controlling the second wave.

Yes. I do not like the Swedish strategy at all - it feels to me very close to the UK strategy, in that it seems to be being driven by optimistic thinking (even if their approach is more pragmatic than the UK’s laissez-faire attitude). I am sure they have and are doing such modelling, but I do not understand why they are not more open and transparent about this than is the case (see Forskare: Myndigheten bör redovisa data och modeller, which criticizes them for that). I would feel much more confident in their strategy if they actually published more data/details.

And I do not understand why the Swedish media in general just lies down and accepts this happily. I’ve been seeing articles that almost deifies Anders Tegnell (Swedish “CDC” chief) as some kind of demigod, and it’s just… weird, considering that no one - not even himself - know whether his decisions are right. Though I guess the truth may lie in what would probably have been an entertaining rant from TheWesterFront:

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1242356964837003264

Well, there could be a million factors. NYC = Packed subways. California = Everyone commuting in their own car. Density. NYC = extremely dense. LA = Massive sprawl.

About a third of Washington’s death came from that one nursing home, so is that skewing the numbers?

I’m pretty sure density is factor (it’s pretty obvious). Public transport more likely too.

Of no surprise to me just got an email that currently we expect to start going back to the office day after Easter. Guess we know who our upper management listens to.

Conservatives talking points

• is a hoax
  • is exagerated
  • fuck fuck fuck, we have to do something
  • is too late
  • maybe we can accelerate it?

I think “its a hoax” was a week ago in USA.

wonder what would be the next talking point among conservatives?

Get back to work.

thats another version of “lets accelerate it”.

In NYC population density and ubiquitous use of public transport are certainly factors.