Coronavirus 2019

Fauci has absolutely spoken out against Trump’s lies. He’s corrected his statements, while on the same stage as Trump.

The fact that he’s smart enough to not just shriek at Trump and call him a liar, is called “not being an idiot”.

Because if he were to do that, he’d no longer be on stage, and wouldn’t be able to tell people the truth.

Also, regarding Massie… I’m assuming that he’s gonna lose reelection for this.

There’s no evidence that impacts policy, and little evidence that it impacts anything at all. Fauci’s corrections are heard by people who have already heard the truth, and ignored by everyone else. He’s just lending his credibility to the administration.

Nothing stops Fauci from disputing it on every media channel as a private citizen. And changing out the wallpaper would not IMO change policy one bit.

It’s worth noting that Trump has notably softened his position a bit on that whole “Let’s restart things by Easter” stuff. I assume that is the work of Dr. Fauci behind closed doors.

If we take as true the premise that speaking the truth is ineffective, how would speaking the truth “more forcefully” be effective?

To me, that’s like the claim that Kelly softened Trump’s position on caging children. He still caged the children, and Kelly helped him do it.

Some folks seem to not realize that Fauci actually ALSO does actual work combating the epidemic, beyond just giving press conferences, and having him removed from that position would be extremely bad for all of us.

(he means “spread out” btw.)

Or he could do that work while not being a credibility prop.

With Kelly it’s at best a claim, really a rumor, that he moderated Trump. At least with Fauci I have witnessed with mine own two eyes and ears him correcting Trump and trying to get good information to the people.

This. He’s not just some PR guy from the department. If he get pushed aside we get a hack running his unit.

I think we can dredge up video of Kelly disagreeing publicly with Trump. Maybe not. In any event, Fauci could get that info out without standing behind Trump while Trump lies.

It’s a hard line to walk for sure, and Dr. Fauci probably thinks he can do more good inside than outside.
And sure, he’s lending his authority to a less than ideal leader, but the alternative is having a less than ideal leader leading someone less competent and probably much more ideologically driven.

If he was a general, hey, an incompetent general might be better, a few failed operations and maybe the war ends earlier and with less deaths. A few failed operations in this case isn’t going to improve anything.

So, I dunno. Maybe it would be better for him to dump on Trump on live air, put an obvious toadie in, and then we can confidently run around going “The entire federal government is useless”, instead of the current “maybe a few people there know wtf they’re doing”…

I think it’ll be mighty interesting to see Massie get zero support for his bullshit.

Even Easter is a backpedal. A week ago he was saying after 15 days, which would be late March. Easter is about 2 weeks more. And even that is at risk. Trump is awful, but is in the middle of a multi month cave in IMO.

That escalated quickly.

The House is absolutely slamming Massie’s dick in the dryer here. And they’re observing social distancing while doing so.