Coronavirus Quarantine (WFH, homeschool, tips, etc.)

I adore coriander/cilantro, hate parsley! :-) They do look very similar though!

Welp they shut down my wife’s school district for a month.

So, our office has within the last 15 days gone through the following stages:

• No work from home
  • WFH permitted if you feel uncomfortable about coming to the office
  • WFH recommended
  • WFH strongly recommended
  • WFH enforced

Unfortunately my WFH equipment is a Chromebook from 2016. It’s a low-voltage CPU from 2015 that’s had hyperthreading disabled due to the CPU security bugs, and a 800p screen. It’s so slow that on switching to a Gmail browser tab, the UI basically freezes the machine for 10 seconds. And since the virus disrupted the supply chains, there’s no replacement hardware available. This is not going to be a productive month.

Wow, wondering if that’s going to start a wave of closures north and south of there. I am south of that in Capistrano Unified, and as of yesterday they were not closing yet (but left plenty of wiggle room in the statement)

For work I was already golden, since I work exclusively from home and only travel a few times a year - all of which was canceled or indefinitely postponed last week.

Ohhhh you fancy. ;)

See I have no idea of the quality of LB schools but if you are talking about our Administrative building then yes, that thing is an travesty of misspent funds. Every time we pass it my wife bitches about it, and how the funds should have been diverted to, you know, actual schools.

Bidets seem silly to me. Just get in the shower and add soap to your arsenal. Know what I mean?

If you’re at home, it is possible to time certain sequences of events, yes ;)

Long Beach in the House, indeed.

My new WFH setup

Wow, your company offers an in-home companion for you?

She is thrilled

From the view, it appears you live somewhere very flat.

Lol, nah just near the local high school fb field.

Got the old card table out in the living room, monitor from work with docking station.

Surprisingly less bad than I thought it would be.

Yeah, our education system is often still mired in 19th century ideas, where sitting in a desk for X hours a day somehow magically translates into education, and where only structured, top-down delivery of “stuff” counts as teaching. It’s changing, but there are still really strong ties to this model everywhere. Even at the college level, it’s hard to convince some folks that there are a lot of different ways to meet your learning outcomes, and some of those may well include much less structured ass-in-the-seat time and listening to the professor drone on about something. So, play time and release of stress and anxiety–especially if your kids can’t play with other kids–seems 100% a good idea to me.

Ahh I was just in Long Beach a couple months back. Amazing Cambodian food.

I just heard from a friend, single mother with kids in school. Their school system just announced shutdown for a month. She has no idea how to deal with that, given that she works outside the home and barely makes enough to get by, let alone paying for a sitter or something.

Yeah, shutdowns cause immense economic and personal pain to disadvantaged people. They’re always the first to hurt. But I mean, public health issue, it must be done. Congress should help these people by passing paid sick leave and childcare laws, but they won’t.

i ordered some CPAP supplies just in case.

We have two bidets so not worried about TP.