Corpse Bride

I saw this yesterday night. Big thumbs-up from me. If you liked “Nightmare Before Christmas,” you’ll like this. The songs aren’t nearly as good and it’s pretty short (1:14), but the voice performances are great, the story is cool, and the animation is really amazing. Great stuff. Definitely recommended.

Aside: What the hell is up with movie audiences these days? I usually go to the froo-froo Arclight theater, which is more expensive than a regular theater and tends to attract movie buffs. Corpse Bride wasn’t playing there so I went to some small theater in the People’s Republic of Santa Monica. Holy CRAP was everyone rude. People were talking literally all through the movie, and letting their kids talk. I think this is one of those movies that everyone brings little kids to because hey, it’s animated, it must be for kids (CORPSE BRIDE. Hello?). Ugh.

Spoiler: The one thing I didn’t like about the story – it’s another one of those movies where boy meets girl, boy gets tempted away by a much more unique and interesting and lively girl, boy goes back to “safe” girl at the end. I hate that. Boy should stay with lively and interesting girl. They do a better job in this movie than most, making boy and safe girl actually attractive and attracted to each other, but still.

It hoped 22nd this week. Ouch…

If you mean “opened” 22nd, I don’t think that’s such a big deal – I think it’s only playing on four screens (two here, two in New York).

Spoiler talk!

Spoiler: The one thing I didn’t like about the story – it’s another one of those movies where boy meets girl, boy gets tempted away by a much more unique and interesting and lively girl, boy goes back to “safe” girl at the end. I hate that. Boy should stay with lively and interesting girl. They do a better job in this movie than most, making boy and safe girl actually attractive and attracted to each other, but still.

I haven’t seen too many movies like that, usually boy stays with lively and interesting girl (or vice-versa, gender-wise). The only other option is to have boy dump them and stay at home and masturbate, which doesn’t seem like much of an option, or to have both girls just understand that he loves them both equally, which REALLY doesn’t seem like an option.

-Kitsune

Really? I can think of a few, but not many off the top of my head.

Hermine and Whats-his-name versus Ron in Harry Potter
Forces of Nature
Lots of sitcoms have plot-lines like this too. Friends and Fraser to various degrees I remember, probably others.

Might also want to include the popular bad boy turned good/sacrifices himself to attone for his sins shtick, convienioently freeing the Love Interest to fall for the Hero, which pulls on similar strings.

On a tangental issue: mad props to Neil Gaiman for never giving in to this temptation.

He kinda did with Stardust.

Loved the story though.

I loved Nightmare Before Christmas, as did my sister. We were both extremely disappointed by Corpse Bride. I thought the storyline was cliche, the characters (except maybe Emily) bland, and the songs annoying if I could even understand them.

You thought a story about a guy getting tangled up with a dead woman in the Land of the Dead was cliche? I mean, I realize that at its heart it’s a boy-meets-girl story, but that’s also pretty true of Nightmare. What makes them cool is the imagination and creativity in the setting, and how they play with that to make the story interesting. I agree that Nightmare was better (the “holiday worlds” idea was more original than the “land of the dead” idea, certainly), but I wouldn’t call either film “cliche.”

I saw it this afternoon. It really wasn’t that good.Ifcourse going in expecting Nightmare Before Christmas is a bit unreasonable but the film didn’t work for me.

Just saw it today. Meh. Visually appealing, but character development and story were both inadequate. Far from Burton’s best work.

I liked Victoria. She didn’t seem bland and safe, she seemed like she was learning what it meant to want something and to have a backbone.

Anyway, the movie felt too short and the music wasn’t terribly catchy, though I did like the song explaining Emily’s origin. I laughed when I was supposed to and had a pretty good time.

I liked it a lot–probably as much as Nightmare Before Christmas (though it’s been a while since I’ve seen that). I also didn’t mind that Victor ended up marrying Victoria (and was glad to see that Burton didn’t try to pull out an ending where everyone ended up happy).

Victor marrying Victoria didn’t bother me at all, either. Of the two brides, I felt Victoria had the most personality. Emily was just a tragic death with no depth to her, while Victoria was repressed but still feisty, raised by demons but still kind-hearted, etc.

Didn’t like the movie that much, as I said earlier, but the ending was fine.

Saw this yesterday. It was OK. Definitely no nightmare.

Like everyone has said, the plot was uninspired and most of the characters were pretty bland. Victor was utterly bland. Victoria was a little interesting, and I liked Emily.

The animtion was pretty spectacular. The music wasn’t. At all.

Overall, I think it just lacked the (for lack of a better word) heart that Nightmare had. It really felt at several points like Tim Burton was trying a little too hard to recapture the magic. He ends up overreaching.

JD

The wife and I liked it better than Nightmare.

For what it’s worth.

The moment with the little boy going, “Grandpa!” Awesome. :)