Counter Strike Source players

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=css_hit_b0x_bb

A small video about the laggy hit boxes in CSS. I thought it was kinda dodgy (added lag or something), but I just tried it myself and it’s certainly a real enough problem. This is certainly going to affect how I play the game online from now on.

It’s been around for a while, if not since CSS originally launched and is certainly a pain at times.

Between that and the absurdly powerful automatic sniper rifles it can take a while to get a decent game.

Haha you don’t actually think that Valve will get off their butts and fix that game once they took all our money, do you?

No probably not…

… actually, fuck off and take your Valve hate somewhere else Irgo Munchkin.

Fuck Steam Wars?

They may not be the quickest at fixing obvious problems with CS, but they do tend to get there eventually.

You paid for CSS?

Maybe you didn’t read my other thread but CS was fixed a lot faster back before Valve bought it… oh, and really, if all you’re going to do is flame, don’t bother? Oh, and learn how to spell, you’re making yourself look bad.

<random whinge about how aspect x of the game hasn’t been the same since it was changed in Beta n>

I suspect that Valve buying it has kept it “free”

You paid for CSS?

Well it did come with a free copy of HL2 and DoD (if they ever release it). Depends on your outlook I guess, I didn’t pay for HL2 to get HL2 I paid to get CSS.

We’re both of these posts written by the same person? While the lack of any useful content to either is consistent, the underlying assertion seems to conflict directly between both. I suppose I am to take from this that it is alright to attack those who can’t defend themselves?

Chris Woods

We’re both of these posts written by the same person? While the lack of any useful content to either is consistent, the underlying assertion seems to conflict directly between both. I suppose I am to take from this that it is alright to attack those who can’t defend themselves?

Chris Woods[/quote]
If by “Those who can’t defend themselves” you mean Valve, then rest assured they can defend themselves pretty well.

Oh, you want some useful content do you? You really think I feel like typing out a whole story each time just to have some Valve fanboy say I’m wrong anyways? Well here’s a story:

I’ve been running a CS server for 3 years, and a CS:S ever since the beta… on Linux. No matter how often we would notify the Valve folks on their steampowered forums they would never fix our Linux binaries. The “CS” (HL GoldSrc) binary had a huge memory leak. When I would start up the binary it would be using about 20 MB, then a couple of days later (on the same map) it would be up to 200 MB (and it would keep growing until I killed and restarted the process). Windows folks didn’t have that problem…

Then once CS:S came out, I started running that binary as well (Source), and that was even more fun! Not only were there a bunch of errors during startup (invalid pointer anyone), but a lot of admins were having problem with people falling through walls (not me though…). But that was only a minor problem…

The network code for their Linux binary was seriously screwed up. When my server had over 40 people it would start to noticeable lag in-game (not so on Windows servers). If you are about to say I had a weak server, don’t… I had a Dual Xeon, and I wasn’t even using full capacity at all… here were my top results I dug up from a complaint on the valve forums:

31231 halflife 25 0 73116 65M 3680 R 20.2 6.5 51:43 2 srcds_i686

As you can see it’s using 20.2% CPU (i had 2 cpus) and 6.5% RAM. I also had a 100 mbps connection which obviously can’t get maxed out with only 64 players connected. Under 40 players there were barely any lag. Of course there was also the problem most maps barely supported 32 players, and when you edited a map’s bsp to add more spawns the client would conveniently get disconnected because of a map mismatch (in GoldSrc you could edit bsps safely…).

After taking this crap for so long I stopped hosting my dedicated servers. Just think about it, we the server admins provide free servers for people to play on, Valve doesn’t pay us at all, we pay ourselves to provide a fun gaming experience to the players. Valve doesn’t run their own player servers like EA does… and that’s my story. I’d tell you some horrible experiences “player” side but I’m sure anyone whose used Steam for a while knows what I would say.

You mean the Steam Forums right?

…oh why bother writing a story with pertinent content when it gets glanced over?

For the “silent majority” of us who actually read it with interest, and without feeling it necessary to post pedantic noise. Thanks for sharing.