Cover Songs

I agree entirely with Robert. A friend of mine and I get annoyed about “perfect covers” pretty regularly. Right now, my favorites are probably Cibo Matto’s version of “Candyman”, which I think is just incredible and Papa M’s “Last Caress”. Sometimes I have trouble deciding whether the Papa M cover is ironic or not, and ironic covers are a big pet peeve. I’m pretty sure he’s playing it straight, though.

He’s not kidding. Limp Bizkit covered Metallica fantastically on that tour.

Nickelback covered Sad But True when I saw them and totally blew me away with it.

I stumbled upon Rod Stewart’s early catalog recently. There’s actually quite a few nice covers strewn among original roots rock. I’m listening to “Man of Constant Sorrow” right now, from his self-titled debut. “Blind Prayer” and “Cindy’s Lament” from that album are quite good also, but I don’t think they’re covers.

No one should have ever told him about disco.

Is today opposite day?

I wish I could blow Nickelback away.

As soon as I read “Rod Stewart” I started whispering to myself: “please don’t say Downtown Train,please don’t say Downtown Train,please don’t say Downtown Train,please don’t say Downtown Train”.

Thank you for not saying Downtown Train.

Now I know you’re baiting. Cut it out. Next thing you know somebody is going to dredge up something unspeakable like Rod St…oh. It’s like that, is it? Fine.

So, how great is Britney Spears covering “Satisfaction”? Huh? Let me count the ways…

You can throw rocks at them instead

Devo, on the other hand…

Disturbed did a pretty cool cover of Land of Confusion in the latest album (10 thousand fists). Shout 2000 from their first album isn’t too shabby either.

http://www.howardshrine.com/media/ThisisBeetle.mp3

Peter Prince from Moon Boot Lover covering “Oops! I did it again!” is hilarious and actually pretty good.

Similarly, Mike Patton/Faith No More covering Portishead’s “Glory Box” is pure comedy.

Is that with that screamy band of his? They opened for APC at a concert I was at, and he was definitely the loudest thing I’ve heard in a while.

Lacuna Coil’s “Enjoy the Silence” is reasonably excellent.

Seconded.

I think you’re talking about Tomahawk, but no, this cover was with Faith No More years ago.

Awise!

The Raincoats’ cover of Lola is one of my favorites of all time.

More good covers:

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orion
Rachid Taha - Rock El Casbah
Revolting Cocks - Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?

I can’t stand covers that just ape the original because, as you say, what’s the point?

I think it’s possible to do a cover simply for the sake of executing a better performance. This is, after all, why so many pieces of classical music are recorded and recorded and recorded over and over again despite the notes/arrangement being the same and there only occasionally being any intention to “deconstruct” the original. The analogy may not be entirely apt, but I think there’s something to be said for simply trying to do the same song better than the other guy. I don’t think the Beatles’ take on Twist and Shout, for instance, was severely different from the original (tho they did mess around with the structure a bit) – it was immortalized by a superior vocal performance.

My gold standard for covers is still Jimi’s take on “All Along the Watchtower.”

And I quite like Annie Lennox’s “No More I Love You’s,” although I’m entirely unfamiliar with the original artist, the Lover Speaks.