Cover songs

Don’t forget “All along the Watchtower”.

Oh please. :roll:

As if anyone can top the Shatner version.

If by “fscking incredible” you mean, why on earth did he pick the worst whiniest song from the album and remove anything that was cool about the original, then, yes, I agree.

Megadeth actually did a decent cover of Anarchy in the UK. Pantera did a terrible, embarrassing version of Sabbath’s Planet Caravan that idiot rock DJs play instead of their good stuff.

I hated that Metallica covers album.

And Iced Earth is an embarrassment.

BTW If you ever consider going to watch a Queen cover band live then you should probably consider killing yourself.

Industry Dwarf[/quote]

And here we all thought Met_K got banned!

Although I usually hate cover versions (they just make me want to listen to the original) there are a few I dig:

1. “Night Of Chill Blue” Superchunk covering The Chills
  2. “Can’t Put Your Arms Around A Memory” The Loud Family covering Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers
  3. “Sweet Child O’ Mine” Luna covering GnR
  4. “Sin City” Uncle Tupelo covering Gram Parsons
  5. “Wild Horses” Rolling Stones covering Gram Parsons
  6. “Fire Brigade” The Liquor Giants covering The Move
  7. “Hard To Handle” Black Crowes covering Otis Redding
  8. “Respect” Aretha covering Otis Redding
  9. “Merry Christmas Baby” Otis Redding covering Charles Brown
  10. “Big Sky” Flop covering The Kinks
  11. “I Am The Cosmos” The Posies covering Chris Bell
  12. “To Sir With Love” Soul Asylum covering LuLu (available on the UK import version of the Clam Dip ep)
  13. “Burnin’ Up” Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth + Mike Watt) covering Madonna)
  14. “Citadel” Redd Kross covering The Rolling Stones
  15. “My Own Time” The Three O’Clock covering the Bee Gees
  16. “American Woman” The Butthole Surfers “cover” The Guess Who (guaranteed to break a lease if you so choose!)
  17. “Strange” REM covering Wire
  18. “Effigy” Uncle Tupelo covering Creedence
  19. “What Goes On” The Feelies covering The Velvet Underground
  20. “Hazy Shade Of Winter” The Bangles cover Simon & Garfunkel

Oh please. :roll:

As if anyone can top the Shatner version.[/quote]

It wasn’t a patch on his version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Tom Jones and the Cardigans covering the Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”
Johnny Cash covering Soundgarden’s “Rusty Cage”

Gonna either betray my goth roots here, or make most of you scratch your heads in confusion, but for my money, my favorite cover is Coil’s cover of Soft Cell’s ‘Tainted Love’. The video was pretty cool in demonstrating the vibe they were going for, too.

I’m pretty tired of covers, though. Being on the perepheral edge of the goth scene in Seattle takes me to the local clubs every month or two, and being there for just a short length of time makes you realize that to be an up-and-coming goth/industrial act, you simply must cover an old 80s song. I think I’ve heard enough butchery of 80s pop in the last year to hold me over for the rest of my life. :x

I tried and I tried, and I still can’t understand how you can listen and enjoy a band like that. I mean I have tremendous respect for their work, but their music is… special. No melody, f*cked up rythms, etc. And I like to think of myself as a pretty opened person… :shock:

Soft Cell’s Tainted Love is itself a cover of a MoTown song.

Industrial: where synth-pop lives on as a zombie.

I remember posting something a while back about how I totally didn’t get Johnny Cash, based on Ring of Fire.

Ok, I get it after stumbling on that cover of Hurt on the radio. Wow.

Man. I lived (and bought records) in the UK for three years after college, and I looked and looked for the UK version of that EP, and all I found was the US version. Copy after copy after copy.

Triggercut, I don’t suppose you’d be willing to rip me the extra tracks…? Please?

http://gimmegimmes.com/launch.html

They do cover songs…nothing but cover songs. I think the members all belong in other big names pop-punk bands, but I never bothered enough to follow up on that lead.

[quote=“John_Many_Jars”]

Man. I lived (and bought records) in the UK for three years after college, and I looked and looked for the UK version of that EP, and all I found was the US version. Copy after copy after copy.

Triggercut, I don’t suppose you’d be willing to rip me the extra tracks…? Please?[/quote]

Sure, but…

First off, I misspoke. The UK version of Clam Dip has the incredible cover of “Juke Box Hero”, not “To Sir”. That little nugget appears on the CD-single of “Easy Street”. I have 'em both, though…

…but for the next three months I’m living in a luxury suite hotel in Connecticut. When I get back “home”, I’ll dig 'em out and make you a copy.

What’s not to get about “Ring of Fire”? Try “Folsom Prison Blues” (the live one from Folsom Prison is best) and “I Walk the Line”. I mean, your post would make more sense to me if you said “I totally didn’t get Johnny Cash, based on A Boy Named Sue” but… Ring of Fire? That’s a great song on so many levels!

I can spend hours at this site: www.coversproject.com where you’ll find that there are lots and lots of great covers, maybe just not famous ones.

What’s not to get about “Ring of Fire”? Try “Folsom Prison Blues” (the live one from Folsom Prison is best) and “I Walk the Line”. I mean, your post would make more sense to me if you said “I totally didn’t get Johnny Cash, based on A Boy Named Sue” but… Ring of Fire? That’s a great song on so many levels![/quote]

I can’t fucking stand mariachi music, that’s why. Hate hate hate. Rest is lookin’ good, though. If I recommended some band, and you absolutely hated their first song, you’re not going to look too closely at the rest - “oh, it’s just more country, whatever.”

I also think music is all about cultural context, anyway…

Why are cover songs either

1. Very different
  2. The same
  3. The same, but different.

???

Banality aside, at what point do you determine the difference between a remix and a cover?

When I first heard The Dead Kennedys cover Viva Las Vegas, I’d never heard the original and I assumed that they’d completely redone the lyrics to make it all like ‘Las Vegas sucks, up yours Elvis’.
But then I saw Viva Las Vegas (great movie) and realised that they didn’t change a thing. It’s a pretty darn cynical song. For Elvis.

The Ramones do a great cover of Motorhead’s tribute to the Ramones: ‘R.A.M.O.N.E.S.’ Rock n’ Roll backslapping at its finest.

Triggercut, I don’t suppose you’d be willing to rip me the extra tracks…? Please?[/quote]

Sure, but…

First off, I misspoke. The UK version of Clam Dip has the incredible cover of “Juke Box Hero”, not “To Sir”. That little nugget appears on the CD-single of “Easy Street”. I have 'em both, though…

…but for the next three months I’m living in a luxury suite hotel in Connecticut. When I get back “home”, I’ll dig 'em out and make you a copy.[/quote]

I didn’t want to admit it was the “Juke Box Hero” cover that had me looking. Saw them do it live in Chicago around 1989-90, along with “Rhinestone Cowboy.” :D

Thanks a lot, and enjoy room service!

Another amazing, heretofore unmentioned cover: Cowboy Junkies’ version of Lou Reed’s “Sweet Jane”.