Cowboy Bebop: you don't even have my curiosity

Amazon was selling the entire series on digital format for $9.99 a couple weeks back, not sure I’d that deal is still available though.

Coming back to the music, one of he more impressive hints to me is how exemplary it is for a style that is traditionally not very well done in Japanese. Yoko Kanno’s music here is so good, and so wonderfully matches the styles it aims for.

As someone who grew up playing, and therefore has a high affection for, blues, jazz, swing, big band, etc. Yoko Kanno manages to create new and original works that are simultaneously genre true, but don’t feel ancient. Which is doubly impressive since it is using quntisentially American styles of music that had been outmoded for decades at that point. That she manages to capture that essence is nothing short of miraculous.

The soundtrack isn’t just one of the best for a TV series ever, it’s one of the best examples of those genres in the last 50 years.

And The Real Folk Blues (and subtly remixed See You Space Cowboy for the finale) is just so brilliant, and a wonderful capstone to the show. The rhythmic industrial background of Piano Black, the fun energy of Bad Dog No Biscuits, the hopeful melancholy of Space Lion, and more are such a joy to listen to.

It is truly her magnum opus.

Yes I am listening to the soundtrack today. It’s been years, but still those songs come back as soon as I think about them.

I prefer the Standalone Complex OST (well, both of them). Still Yoko Kanno though. And it’s not that there’s anything wrong with the music in Bebop. It’s just not my genre.

Totally fair. As I indicated I grew up playing jazz trombone, so I have a particular affection for these styles that makes it impossible for me to be objective.

And while my musical interests tend more towards the rock/ metal side of things, that actually works against GitS ironically. Because my tastes are far more… refined in that style. So while it is good, it does not possess what I want out of a rock/ metal song (I look for more technical and complicated music in that style).

To put it more simply, Yoko Kanno is the greatest composer of our time.

This thread needs more James Joyce.

James Joyce’s anime soundtracks are pretty shitty.

You misspelled Joe Hisaishi

It’s on Hulu.

Also 20 bucks for the series on Amazon today. They also had Trigun and Samurai Champloo for 15-16 dollars.

To me, Jupiter Jazz (it’s the only two parter) was mind blowing for me. So awesome.

You have terrific taste, sir! :)

I’m also in the same boat as you overall. Outside of Cowboy Bebop and Miyazaki films, anime’s really not my thing.

You know, the Netflix live action remake looks TERRIBLE but… It seems like a LOT of people are checking out the original (probably on Hulu) because of it and I’m down for that.

Cowboy BeBop is a terrible introduction to anime though. Even if you decide you want more anime most will just fall short.

Yeah the original is bit… much for most people.

SAC on the other hand is downright amazing and I’d recommend it to nearly anyone. It does require you to pay attention somewhat since a lot of it is fairly political. Bebop easily wins for most approachable anime.

After those… probably Black Lagoon.

For non-series stuff Miyazaki is a safe bet. Monoke is still one of the best things ever made and there is a lot of room in his stable to tailor towards nearly any taste.

And features Space Lion, a favorite of mine.

Both the sub and dub are available on Hulu in the US.

I don’t have much add other than noting that this is also the only anime tv show I really like and that I also discovered it via Adult Swim. A fun side note: I recently learned Yoko Kanno did the soundtrack for Nobunaga’s Ambition, which given the demo of this forum, is something it’s safe to assume that more than a few of you are familiar with.

20 years after its debut, Cowboy Bebop still stands as one of the greatest anime series of all time. In this video I take a look at its rocky road to release and the lasting impact it’s had on the industry in the decades following.