Crap we watched as a kid

Dang, you just stole most of my thunder. Spot on!

I grew up in SoCal which I think is why we got a lot of the Japanese Television influence (eg Ultraman). What was the one with the 5 heroes, each a differnet color?.. “Go Ranger!” ? (OK, just looked it up; looks like it was called
Super Sentai
… suck it, Mighty Morphins!)

Starblazers wasn’t crap!! (At least I don’t think it was… been meaning to watch it again… memory gets hazy after a quarter century.)

Yeah, some of the kiddy cartoons I gorged on were pretty awful. GI Joe*, He-Man, Smurfs. It almost makes me thankful I had Tintin books, Chris Claremont X-men comics, and C64 SID-chip music to provide some kind of culture in my formative years.

*I still maintain, though, that the “I Am the Viper” episode is a masterpiece of comic writing.

Donkey Lips.

I loved Friends and E.R. when they first came out. This was also the time I declared my major and started reading a lot of plays from the Elizabethan and Jacobean Era. After reading all those, I found I couldn’t stomach TV writing anymore. Then I read Moliere and realized how many situations from “Situation Comedies” were taken from Moliere’s plays and I was able to predict exactly how each situation would be resolved. It took me quite a few years after to be able to enjoy television again.

I saw him as a contestant on some MTV dating show where a girl starts with like 50 guys and whittles them down until she’s left with one. He didn’t last very long.

Oh, man, that show was made on such a thin budget. The little future-minivan they tooled around in was so obviously made out of painted plywood (or cheaper materials).

Let’s see–as a kid (I’m 41), I watched a lot of Mod Squad, Adam 12, Emergency, SWAT and FBI.

Couldn’t have been too cheap. It kept showing up in other shows for about a decade afterwards.

The interesting thing is that, when those of us in the 35+ range were kids, we all had common TV experiences to refer to. Because, with somewhere between 3 and 20 (if you had high-end cable) channels, we all watched the same crap. Just about everyone in the class could tell you who said “pork chops and applesauce,” or sing the Hamlet songs from Gilligan’s Island Nowadays, with 300+ channels, I imagine kids don’t have the common foundation of mediocre sitcoms.

Yeah, 42 here, and I was a huge Emergency fan. And I remember when they did a crossover with Adam 12 – way too cool.

“Squad 51, administer an IV with D5W and Ringer’s lactate and get him to Rampart, stat!”

Ooh, I just remembered Thunderbirds 2086, an animated Japanese-made remake of sorts of the old puppet show. I haven’t seen it in ages, and it’s probably rather silly plucky-team-saves-the-day tripe in retrospect, but as a kid I thought it was AWESOME.

Dear Sax:

FUCK YES.

Love, Bill

Do you have the comic that came out a few years ago? It’s awesome.

No, I do not.

:`(

I just remembered M.A.S.K. thanks to this thread!

It all seemed pretty good at the time. It was all we had. :)

Looney Toons (the greatest of all)
The Sid and Marty Kroft show, Sigmund the Sea Monster, Land of the Lost, etc.
Scobby Doo
Captain Caaaaaave Maaaaan
Voltron
Robotech
I Dream of Genie
Bewitched
Those puppet cartoons at Christmas. The Land of Misfit Toys and all that.
Battlestar Galactica

Damn, forgot He-Man and lots of MTV when it first came out.

12 issues, compiled in two TPBs. Seriously man, it’s awesome stuff.

So true. Neither a borrower, nor a lender be. Do not forget. Stay out of debt

As a kid, I watched a lot of Thunderbirds. I wanted to emulate them so, I walked about stiffly and talked with an exaggerated up and down jaw motion. cool or geeky? You decide.

Also, Rat Patrol. And Adam-12. Lots of Adam-12 along with Emergency. And of course, the Batman TV series was a staple, along with Hogan’s Heroes, Gilligan’s Island, Brady Bunch, Beverly Hillbillies, and Green Acres.

On the cartoon front, Rocket Robin Hood, Spiderman, and Bugs Bunny et al.,

I still remember that three-toned siren that called out Rampart 51.

And the guy that ate a raw loaf of bread and had his stomach swell up.

I’m clearly not quite the same generation…

GI Joe
Star Blazers
Robotech
Voltron
He-Man
MASK
Transformers
Smurfs
Gummi Bears
D&D
Talespin
Duck Tales
Rescue Rangers
Nintendo Power
Silverhawks
Thundercats
The Tick
TMNT

and i’m sure there is more, some are a little vague though.

Oh yeah, Dirk the Daring

I remember admiring the background paintings in Duck Tales.