Crappy Signal on wireless desktop adapter?

Hi Everybody!

My desktop machine has a linksys 802.11g adapter in it. It’s up in my bedroom, and is getting pretty awful signal strength. It’s low to very low, with semi-frequent disconnects. GIven that most of my lengthy DLs are done on this box, it’s a problem.

I’ve got a laptop as well, and it never fails to have either very good or excellent signal strength in the exact same location.

Any advice on what I can do to get my desktop connecting better?

dumb question: you put the antenna on that came with the card, right?

If so, check and make sure it’s not loose.

Mark: that was the first thing I checked. :D

I’m pretty stumped. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the antenna is too close to the jumbled mess of power wires and whatnot?

This may sound dumb, but check to make sure you’re connected to the right network. I was spitting curses at my laptop the other week when it was sitting right next to the wireless router and still getting bad connection strengths and disconnects. Turns out it had for some reason decided to try and connect to my neighbor’s open network instead.

It’s the right network. :(

I’ve gone through a couple shitty g cards, actually, antennas or not, often with signal strengths at 20 or below. I ended up settling on a Hawking Hi-gain USB adapter, which turned out to be cheaper than the 3 cards I tried and returned. My signal strength never drops below 90 now.

Hawking HWU54D. The HWL2 also looks pretty sweet.

Is your antenna the one that came with the card or is it an external antenna that you can place anywhere you like? If it’s the one that came with the card you will need to do one of three things. You can replace it with an antenna that uses a cable so that you can place it anywhere that the cable will reach (cheapest option), buy a repeater antenna that you can place anywhere that allows you to get a good to excellent signal (costs around $100) and it doesn’t need to be hooked up to your desktop or go all out and buy a wireless bridge(very expensive option). The external antenna will only work with one computer. The repeater will strengthen the signal of multiple wireless computers and the bridge will allow you to hook up multiple computers using a wired network card and then use wireless to connect to the internet.

If you are only hooking up one computer then go the cheap route and buy an external antenna. The one that Scry suggests will do the job fine. The repeater is good if your laptop signal varies as well and you want to strengthen that as well. I would only recommend using a bridge only if you want to have a wired network around your desktop and still want internet access.