Crashlands -- Cross-platform crafting ARPG

Agreed, I think it is more of an aRPG with the addition of a heavy gathering & crafting element (as the title says) than it is a survival game. That suits me just fine, but if someone goes into it expecting a survival game, they are liable to be disappointed.

Yeah, turns out it’s about as much a survival game as Diablo. It’s an action/RPG with heavily scripted campaign that seems to dictate the majority of your character’s progression through a massive crafting tech-tree. Many of the crafting schematics necessary to the story/progression are bound to NPC missions yet there seems to be quite a bit of randomness in acquiring non-essential recipes (furniture, toys, etc).

Out tonight on iOS (midnight) and tomorrow for PC. Not sure about Android.

Here’s a dev’s elevator pitch, courtesy Touch Arcade:

So far, our experience has been that many people don’t like harvesting/crafting games because of how cumbersome many of their UIs and game systems are. We made it a point to try to alleviate as many of those problems as we could, so it should be a really smooth and enjoyable experience. So we have an infinite inventory, contextual tools, and a super-easy build mode.

It’s basically an action RPG with crafting as the progression mechanic instead of leveling up. If you’re into story, pets, and combat, you will still have a good time.

Digging it so far.

Yeah me too, except a few random crashes

Huh, no crashes here (other than the ship into the planet).

Sup with these weirdos thinking they’re too good to let me use the regular iOS keyboard to register/login? What an unnecessary pain.

I played a few minutes last night - would be great if they had a moving icon on the edge of the screen that pointed to your home spot when you wander off. Is that something you can build later? Or am I missing it completely?

Thirty seconds into the game here (iOS), why can’t I hit the barricades with the wrench? How does that work?

edit: Nevermind, I was trying to hit the wrong things.

You can set a waypoint on the map screen which puts a directional arrow on the playing field. Helps when you have a destination in the Fog of War.

Otherweise, you can’t really lose your way from home what with the telepads sprinkled around quite liberally and you zip home from anywhere too.

Ah ok, thanks! I didn’t get to spend much time at all with it but it looked fun. Didn’t want to see any spoilers so I avoided googling it.

So far this is fun and worth it. I’m not too far, only just hatched my first pet. But if you’re on iOS, just get ready for a bunch of tiny little inconveniences reminding you you’re not playing a game built with iOS in mind. Non-standard keyboards, imperfect controls, etc.

Yeah my pet is about to hatch as well.

The only downside so far is your character movement, it looks a tad annoying hopping around everywhere.

I got some legendary gloves from a rare drop, not sure if this part of the starter tutorial but they are great.

Another thing is to make sure you craft all the armor, the boots, gloves and helmet as well as the chest piece which is part of the tutorial all increase your health big style and take just a little wood so really worth doing.

Upgrade your sword as soon as you get the skinnery as well as it increase damage output by a lot. You can make a level 3 sword instead of the level 1 starter.

Use the portals when you find them but remember you can always portal to your home base from anywhere by going to the map and clicking on your home you don’t need a second portal to do it.

Is there a way to pick up crafting tables once you’ve placed them? I can’t figure it out if there is.

I think I’ll just get it on Steam. I mean, I am definitely getting it, but I don’t like trying to play games like this on a touchscreen. I imagine I could keep at it and adapt, but when I would just be playing it on the sofa in my house, moving to the PC will mean my largest inconvenience will be that I can’t play and have the TV on in the background.

Thanks for the info on the iOS version, I was looking at that rather than the steam one. Does it require a constant connection?

Doesn’t look like it, although I think it does try to sync saves with the server by default when it can, and one of the normal loading screen snippets says something like “checking campaign version”. I just put my phone in airplane mode and it launched and loaded my game though, so I’m guessing it’s not doing anything essential if you’re not playing on more than one platform.

Cool thanks Wholly. I just have a WiFi IPad and while it’s not a big deal at home it always drives me nuts to find out certain games oddly require a connection.

That’s in build mode, click the infinity symbol to the right and click the stuff to pick up.

Hah, just coming back to say I figured this out, thanks! I think the first time I tried I didn’t understand the two different build modes and so I figured that wasn’t right, since I must have been in “floor” mode.