Crashlands -- Cross-platform crafting ARPG

Don’t game usually have a 10% discount when they launch? Crashlands is out today on Steam but no discount. It’s not terribly expensive but I’m stingy!

Of course, even if I got it on Steam AND got the iOS version, that would only be 20 bucks, so maybe I should just unpinch my wallet a little.

Well I know I just complained about how un-iOS-like it felt, but at $5 it’s still worth it so far. Consider that the demo and buy the Steam version later if it’s on sale or you fall in love with it.

I’m having a great time on the iPad with it - I was one tutorial quest away from learning about teleporting so now it’s all good! Hatched a pet and have been pushing farther out each direction.

Yup, though I’m not very good at the combat aspect (as I anticipated), I am getting by. Evolved my wompit last night. Now to go do some stomping.

I’m stuck on putting things on my hot bar, I have baconweed for healing and want to change it for something better I have picked up but can’t find how to do it (PC Version) anyone have any ideas?

Yes, that’s in the Equipment menu, click on the thing you want to change, and there will be a red bar at the bottom showing the stuff you can swap into there.

You can also recycle old weapons from there, the Recycle button in the top right will get you some of your materials back.

FYI, keep picking up that baconweed whenever you can…

Yup, stock up because it becomes much more useful later…

Great thanks for that.

I feel like I’m always just a little bit underpowered for where I’m supposed to be. Am I just bad at this? Just gathering stone seems to take me into areas where engaging with any wildlife is not worth the risk, so I’m always on my guard and running away from things. Maybe that’s the idea though, and I’ve just been conditioned to think otherwise from other games?

I find it best to avoid enemies that are difficult to fight until I have gotten buffed up a little. You need to farm so much in the way of mats. I have finally gotten better at killing the squid dudes (a faster weapon helps a great deal). I also tend to let my wompit do most of the work against certain enemies. I find the blowpipe very handy for tagging mobs so the pet will attack.

The iOS version of this is awesome. I’ve seen let’s plays for the PC version, and the iOS version appears to play exactly the same. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to use sticky bombs though. Regardless, having a great time.

Just like you do with the wrench. Put the bomb in slot, select it and click on the enemy.

I thought I tried that but I guess the unequip interface is a little obscure to me. I didn’t realize I had to hit the infinity symbol once I unequipped something (I thought they’d show up at the bottom of the screen automatically once you unequipped). Got it now, though. Thanks!

Appreciate this, the part I bolded in particular. Because I remembered being told I could recycle old things, but couldn’t work out where to do this with old weapons and armor. I was starting to think only placeable items could be recycled, and once you replaced actual gear, it was gone into the void. (There was another game that handled it that way, but I can’t recall what game it was.)

Yeah, there are a few weird little interface things for sure. I wish I could just scroll around on the map using my fingers instead of the arrow keys. I can’t seem to get ahead of the power curve either though I’ve built the Chemworks and the lvl 5 weapon there.

Yeah, the map interface is a big part of the feeling that I’m not playing an iOS game; probably still the worst offense.

I just built whatever the thing is after the Chemworks, the one made from the parts of the new trees I can finally cut down.

Have really been enjoying this on my iPad over the past couple days, what a fantastic game.

I haven’t had a chance to get back into it since the weekend but I was having a really good time with it too. It’s slower to load on my 3rd gen iPad, but once I’m playing it’s perfectly fine and the bigger screen is worth playing it there instead of my iPhone when I’m at home. But it’s nice that it syncs and I can play it on the go too.

I’ve stopped playing for the moment because I hit a bug with a quest. I’m in no hurry, though. I’ve had a lot of fun with it, and before too long the creation tools will get released. The mod community could keep people playing for years.