Crazy idea - play old Ultima games over Steamlink with Steam controller?

Has anyone tried to do such a thing? The games almost look OK on my monitor but they’re still too pixel sparse for my eyes to see properly at 2560x1600. Since my tv has a terrible pixel density it could work really good for these games… and boy would it be nice to sit back on the couch and use a Steam Controller to play.

So far details on-line are pretty iffy. Something about switching to openGL and not sure if DOSBox will output sound over HDMI to Steamlink. Thought I’d see if anyone has gone through the trouble here before setting out to make a square peg fit a circular slot.

Even if you could, would you want to? I mean I’m down with the Ultima over Steamlink but there are so many keyboard commands - how would that work with a controller?

The Steam Controller is a couple of buttons short for Ultimas II & III, not sure about Ultima I. Ultima IV has at least 26 commands. I forget, have you experimented with a keyboard/mouse on the couch, yet?

Those are both valid points. I do have a cheap wireless keyboard/mouse I can use over steamlink. I just thought if I got used to steam controller it’d be nice. I didn’t even know there was a limit on key mappings for steam controller.

Well if you do get it to work I’d be interested to hear about it. I don’t have a steam controller but that might sell me on it.

It’s just dosbox finding a more comfortable wireless keyboard might be easier

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I’ve got a fairly decent wireless keyboard that would probably do the trick. I just don’t know much about the steam controller, kind of curious.

I’m pretty sure the Steam Controller could handle it, what with mode shifting, activators and multi-key pressing. This is definitely worth a look to give you an idea of what it’s capable of: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20170125/289904/The_Steam_Controller_Configurators_Untapped_Power.php

I use mine for some mouse and keyboard driven games (in the case of Antihero it works better than just mouse!) but I’ve not used it for anything too complicated because I sit close to my PC most of the time anyway. I find the Steam Controller works particularly well when direct control is on the keyboard (like WASD or the cursor keys) because you can assign those to the thumbstick or track/d-pad. The right track pad can still be used for mousing and that works really well once you’ve got the sensitivity, acceleration and friction set to your liking.

How it would behave with DOSBox I don’t know but I’m guessing you’d have to add the DOSBox game shortcut to Steam so you can access the configurator through Big Picture once you’ve loaded it up. Once that’s set up though and you can get in-game with Big Picture it’s just a case of tweaking the controls. I tend to keep the in-game keys as vanilla so I’ve got a consistent base to work off of for Steam Controller profile.

I can’t deny, I have fun fiddling with this stuff with the right game. It’s nice when everything eventually clicks together.

Disclosure: I’ve not played an Ultima game. Oh, I did dabble with Online many years ago.

i don’t know how you’d type “spam spam spam humbug” in U6 with the Steam controller.

I know how I’d type “spam spam spam spam baked beans and spam” with a steam controller. Actually I’m bluffing, no I don’t. I just wanted to write spam spam spam spam baked beans and spam. Twice.

it’s the cheat code for u6

On second thought let’s not play u6. It is a silly game.

why don’t you try to play with voice commands (dragon dictate) instead?