Creating an aimbot in South Korea just got a lot riskier

You could go to jail for programming a wallhack in South Korea. PVPLive reports that the South Korean parliament has just passed an amendment to a law protecting the videogame industry. The amendment makes it illegal to make or distribute programs that are not allowed by a videogame publisher’s terms of service. The law is intended to directly attack the rampant cheating in South Korean online gaming. The possible punishments include monetary fines and up to five years in prison. Riot and Blizzard must be pleased.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/12/07/creating-aimbot-south-korea-just-got-lot-riskier/

WTF? Have they gone insane?
Either that, or they have privatized prisons and need to increase the slave population to continue making cheap tech.

I wonder how much lobbying – and by whom – was done by game companies to get such a system in place. Those companies should be burned to the ground.

Or fixes. Or trainers. Or mods. Or a nickname or post that the publisher doesn’t like. Or a lot of other bullshit that permeates EULAs.
I imagine if that covers Microsoft or Oracle’s EULAs, that would make it even more funny if it didn’t fuck every single SK company.

Are we assuming that website actually translated everything 100% accurately? There could be amendments that exempt modding etc.

As the article states it, it’s pretty insane. What prevents me from making a game and having an EULA that make e.g. Steam illegal? Then anyone buying my game via Steam would now go to jail?

I don’t know. My hatred for cheaters is deep, and so, on the face of it, I applaud the ideals of this law.

Given that modding is generally acceptable use in EULA’s for games designed to support it, it wouldn’t be a crime.

I dunno, some part of me doesn’t see this as a bad idea. Cheating at video games isn’t really some kind of protected constitutional right. It doesn’t really add a lot of value to the world… but cheating DOES fuck over a lot of legitimate consumers.

Err… seems like if you did that, no one’s gonna buy your game.

I think the years in prison should be increased but it’s a good start.

Yeah, it’s going to depend on what the law actually says, but I don’t think it’s inherently disastrous. If you provide a service (online gaming) people cheating on the game are hurting the value of your company by acting against your terms. If you hack or disrupt some online services through, say, DDoS, you are committing a crime under most jurisdiction. You could argue cheating at an online game equally disrupts a legitimate service. You could also argue the opposite, of course.

It might be too harsh a measure, and as I say it depends on exact wording and execution, but there’s some sense to it.

I don’t think there’s any sense in it! I don’t think we should be promoted the bottom line of companies over some kids going to jail and ruining their lives because they used an aimbot.

A virtual jail is finr. Ban them from every platform. But real, actual jail? That’s insane!

Imagine standing outside a theatre shouting spoiler to people going inside. It’s a dick move, but should you go to jail? The most teenage theatre can do is get some kind of court order to make you stay away. Can’t we first give court orders to stop people cheating?

Modern cheat systems for online games are for profit ‘grey’ business with subscriptions models, and it affects millions of people, and dozens of companies with world-class esports. If you are pushing esports as the same class as traditional sports, with tv programs that covers them, with all the money that implies, it isn’t that strange for them to toughen up against online cheaters.

Other thing is to make full wide prohibition of anything that goes against all ToS. That’s crazy.

Same here. I think cheaters should face all legal options on the table, from probations to imprisonment.

That said, it may be good for prosecutors to announce a kind of non-binding guidance of the kinds of cases they would be expecting to prosecute under this law.

It is more equivalent to going into a theater and shouting in the movie ruining the movie for everybody else. Do it once or twice and you’ll get expelled. Do it consistently and you get sued for disruption (which will be a fine, not jail).

It depends whether this law proposes jail time from the start or its a measure against reincidente. Also whether it penalizes the user or the coder and distributor, in which case, as Turintur notes, it’s a way of pursuing u legitimate businesses.

It’s important how the law will be applied and if the possibility of jail time is a deterrent against reincidente or going to be applied from the start for first time offenses (in that case I would agree with you that it’s too much).

You’re acting like the person in question is being forced to cheat, and thus they can’t avoid the repercussions of such a law… or that you have some inalienable right to cheat.

Neither of those is true.

Just don’t cheat, and then you don’t suffer any negative consequences at all.

Seriously, what exactly is the negative impact of such a thing? That people who ruin a game for others will be punished? Why can’t they just NOT DO THAT?

Actually, I’m acting like the definition of “cheat” is ambiguous, and from what that website says is decided by each game maker, which means laws are effectively being made by people who make games without any kind of due process involving the legal system.

Should griefers be sent to jail? What about someone who legitimately keeps winning against you and also makes you sad? Should they be sent to jail for ruining your game? What happens when the developers nerf something, and “ruin” the game for you, and you’re upset by that? Should they also go to jail? Actually, they can’t, as they’re now apparently part of the legal system!

We’re basically making it illegal to make other people upset or cause offense. Plus, some people like cheating. Who’s to say what they can and can’t do?

What about Diablo 2? People used to hack in weapons etc. If they want to do that for their single player experience, is that ok? I know it doesn’t happen in D2, but in later games there’s effectively no barrier between SP and MP, and you can just invite people into your game. Is it ok to cheat in SP, but the instant someone joins your game the police come and arrest you have having an absurd in-game sword?

Because in a lot of cases, you’re literally dealing with children, who are usually even dumber than adults. Fines would be enough to get the message across, jail time is seriously over reaching.

Ruining some idiot kids life over cheating in a video game is a bit Orwellian for me.

Racial aggravation is an actual thing you can get arrested for (in the UK), and it’s reasonable to see why: it has a direct impact on the person’s life, and has massive undertones of wanting to send them to a gas chamber or something.

So why don’t the police throw into jail all of those whiny 13 year old kids who continually call me a “nigger faggot” ? THEY DESERVE TO BE JAILED! WHY CAN’T THEY SIMPLY NOT-SAY MEAN THINGS?

But no, not really, because it’s essentially being defined by a contract which you are voluntarily entering into.

If you don’t want to obey the rules they lay out, then don’t play that game.

Also, the notion that anyone is being denied any kind of due process is silly, because such a law does not in any way result in that. Anyone who would be prosecuted under this law would have their day in court, just like any other accused criminal.

No, that’s not what is happening. Being good at a game isn’t against the EULA of any game that I’m aware of. Making people upset isn’t against the EULA of any game.

Again, if you think a company has set up rules that are overly restrictive for your gameplay, then you can just NOT PLAY THOSE GAMES. And the market will effectively police itself in this regard, since ultimately the point is that those companies want you to buy their games. There is no real motivation for them to punish you, beyond preventing you from cheating in such a way as to ruin the game for other customers and making it less likely that they will buy their game.

But we realize that the law, just like any other law on the books, wouldn’t send a CHILD to jail, because of the same reasons that children aren’t sent to jail for other crimes, right?

Just to be clear, the law is intended to squash the outfits selling cheat programs for use by people playing these games. The kids cheating aren’t the ones that will get into trouble with the law. It’s the cottage industry of cheat programs that will have a hard time of it. There are literally cheat subscription plans that rake in millions of dollars each year.

Because professional competitive PC gaming has been such a big thing in South Korea for years, (they’ve been broadcasting big tournaments on regular TV since the original StarCraft) there’s a lot of money wrapped up in pro videogaming. Like our NFL or NBA, it’s serious business.

I imagine some minors will get swept up in this because they’re too smart for their own good and wrote or repurposed some cheat script and decided to sell it to others. They’ll probably get hit with the fine, which may not be a bad thing.

Yep, it’s an important distinction. And I absolutely think that the companies making, selling, and distributing hacks for online games should be able to be prosecuted by the injured parties.

Hell, I’ve practically all but stopped playing an entire genre of game (online FPS) due to cheating.