Creepy babies love Founders Breakfast Stout. But what do Qt3 Movie Podcasters think?

Founders Breakfast Stout won a drawing for my Patreon review requests. Since I wouldn’t have any idea how to write about beer or what to even write — it’s bubbly, it tastes like beer, there’s words and hopefully a picture on the bottle, three stars! — I cheated and enlisted the help of actual beer connoisseur and Qt3 Movie Podcast co-host Christien Murawski. Together we review the beer in video form while we drink it! It’s a Let’s Drink, complete with a rating at the end.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/10/11/creepy-babies-love-founders-breakfast-stout-but-what-do-qt3-movie-podcasters-think/

That was excellent.

Tom: “I don’t like beer.”

… dead to me, Tom. You’re off the Christmas card list that I keep putting off making.

EDIT: Also, I want to come drink beer with both of you. Also to pet the dog.

MORE DINGUS! MORE DINGUS!

I’ve listened to you guys for hundreds (thousands?) of hours, but I’m not at a place where I’m comfortable with seeing your bare feet on a couch. At least you honored Tom Ford and didn’t wear shorts.

@ChristienMurawski has a handsome face and a winsome voice, but I’m still thrown off when the two aspects are combined.

Dingus, I also first tasted beer from my dad at an age too early to locate. It was St. Pauli Girl and it was just a tiny sip from a bottle, but the taste certainly stayed with me. I definitely didn’t like it. I think it was more of a photo op kinda thing from his standpoint. It didn’t effect my later relationship with alcohol in any way, though maybe I wish it had.

Back when you guys did the Jigsaw podcast I wrote in claiming to be a Saw source material expert, and that is almost entirely because a friend and I developed a bond after getting drunk on wine in the theater parking lot before seeing 2, or 3, or whichever, and then we made it a tradition to Drink and Saw from that point on.

“I don’t like the feeling of being drunk.” -Dingus
Jelly.

Dingus, I see the Denogginzer all the time up here, and I’ve probably tried it, but I never remember beers. I’ll get one and actually focus on it now based on your recommendation. Is Pliny the Elder a highly sought after beer? I know the Younger is, but you can buy the Elder in select stores off the shelf here (albeit with a three item limit).

Need a gif of Tom spanking dat cat ass.

Also Dingus, how do you get so tan doing nothing but watching Star Wars/Trek?

–Chris Webb

Thanks for the review guys, very enjoyable. I will accept the average of your two ratings ;)

As a former enthusiast of Left Hand Milk Nitro Stout and my recent lactose intolerance this is my next best go to in the stouts/porter class. I do recommend it to anyone who likes maltier beers, particularly those who are lactose intolerant!

I was actually really surprised at your comment, thinking, “there isn’t THAT much lactose in a milkstout.”

So I did some math:

Going off a clone recipe for Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout, for a 5 gallon recipe, there is about 1 lb of lactose added. That’s roughly about 54 12-oz servings/bottles/cans, which is roughly .3 oz per beer, or 8.5 grams.

Now a glass of milk comes in at between 8-15 grams. A serving of cheese up to about 8 grams, a serving of ice cream up to about 8 grams and other dairy items mostly lower than 8 grams. In fact, to have more lactose than a milk stout you’d have to eat yogurt or chug some buttermilk.

I have to say, I never realized how much was actually IN a milk stout. It’s like a beer and a glass of milk at the same time!

Of course, as left hand milk stout is so “Drinkable”, which I believe is the word that Dingus and Tom were looking for, you can’t just drink one of them, so that amounts to a lot of lactose!

I mean, we have to look at the positive here. At least you’re not drinking a yogurt stout or buttermilk stout. Those would just be over the top.

Bravo to Dingus for explaining that cellar temperature /= “room temperature”.

Years ago our beer distributor in Chicago brought around one of the few Guiness brew masters in the company, and I asked him about this directly. And he shook his head. “Serve a Guinness at the same temperature you serve your other beers.” Meaning somewhere around 40 degrees or a little lower.

The main thing about “cellar temperatures” is that there are a lot of old pubs in Ireland, England, and on the European mainland that don’t have the space or ability to have giant beer coolers, but where the cellar temperature keeps the beer in the mid-40s to low 50s.

This video was delightful.

More please.

“Oh, I’ve been to Prague…”

Founders is releasing their limited release Canadian Breakfast Stout if anyone is inspired by this:

I need that in my mouth.

Unfortunately it is unlikely to happen at that availability, or price point. $5 for a bottle, I can justify. But I think the most I’ve ever spent was $6.50 or so for Old Rasputin.

$25 is way beyond what I’m willing to spend.

Bluh, stout huh? Well, I’ll watch the video anyway.

Get thee to Europe, specifically Belgium and Germany.

I’ll join you and we shall make many a let’s drink.

Yes. This. @Left_Empty, do you have the tools to do this?

You need to come down south to visit the guys.

Assuming you’ve listened to every podcast at least once (factoring in not listening to the odd recent podcast until seeing the movie and listening to some podcasts twice), you’ve listened for at least 919 hours, 21 minutes, and 31 seconds.

Now that’s an ambiguous question if there is any!

@ChristienMurawski and I were at the the same Stone 14th anniversary! I haven’t missed one since going to my first (10th) but I’ve never ponied up for the rare beer tent. Rare beer is such a stupid concept. Beer can’t be rare, you just make more. It’s not like its buried 500 feet below the surface of the earth.

Tom is geographically challenged and has confused “England” with “Europe” @ChristienMurawski.

He is an Ugly American.

I think the one and only time I’ve ever tasted beer was some cheap canned beer from Trader Joe’s that I bought to make a variant on beer cheese soup that also included potatoes. Since it didn’t use the whole can, I sipped a little. Yeugh.

My mom raised me and has never been a beer fan, so I’ve rarely even been in the same house as beer. Now, occasionally she or my stepdad would try to sell me on wine (which I also don’t like except in cooking), and my very earliest encounter with alcohol would have been when I was quite young and at my grandparents’ Christmas tree farm in the tiny, tiny Iowa town of Linn Grove (population maybe 300? if that?). I spotted something in the fridge labelled “Cookies and Cream” and wanted to try it. The adults laughed at me (it was a wine or liqueur or something) and gave me a little. It did not taste like cookies and cream, and it became immediately clear I didn’t want any more of that.