Criminal Minds

Anyone watch this? I thought the first two eps were excellent. I’ll watch anything that Mandy Patinkin is in at least once, and if it turns out to be good, all the better.

I just hope it does not get crushed by Lost. Brilliant idea, let’s take a new series and put it up against one of the most watched shows on TV.

That’s exactly how CBS wrested control of Thursday nights from NBC a few years ago.

True, but it does not happen that often. And lost is HUGE right now, but I guess there needs to be an alternative for those who don’t watch it…

Yeah, what I think CBS showed when they moved Survior and CSI to Thursdays was that there was plenty of on any given night.

For that to work, the “dominant” network’s stuff needs to be on the decline. Friends/ER were in that stage when CSI/Survivor moved in.

Also, Survivor at least already had a strong following. I don’t remember if CSI debuted on Thursdays. If not, the same applies.

A lot different than sticking a new show against a juggernaut. The bright side is that expectations are low, so it might be easier for the show to get renewed.

Friends was still pretty damn hot when Survivor went up against it and Survivor only had one season under its belt and that was during the summer.

CSI was a bit of a gamble- it had developed a nice (though by no means blockbuster) following on Friday nights and some were worried that the move to the Thursdays was going to hurt it longterm.

The point is that for a time both NBC and CBS were seeing blockbuster Thursday night ratings for a time. It wasn’t until NBC lost Friends last season that CBS has started to dominate so overwhelmingly.

Or hell just for proof that something can compete against Lost just look to last season when American Idol aired at the same time- both shows still got great ratings.

American Idol really isn’t a fair comparison - CM is a new show - AI already had a built in following against Lost.

Aw crap, I forgot about this last night…

Did they resolve the cliffhanger that was established in the pilot? That was just fuckin’ weird how that happened…

They did.

Ack- I’m just trying to point out that two shows that share the same timeslot can both be very successful. CBS already did what they could by premiering Criminal Minds on Thursday night and ending with a cliffhanger to naturally segue people over to the new Wednesday night timeslot.

Ack- I’m just trying to point out that two shows that share the same timeslot can both be very successful. CBS already did what they could by premiering Criminal Minds on Thursday night and ending with a cliffhanger to naturally segue people over to the new Wednesday night timeslot.[/quote]

Point taken. Not looking to argue, I am just bracing myself for yet another show I really like to get the axe. Here’s hoping it doesn’t.

So, last week, I downloaded a Torrent file of Season 1 of this show. I’m surprised I haven’t watched it before, since I will give Mandy Patinkin a shot in anything (FTR, I loved Dead Like Me. Me and someone else… I think he lived in Madison, WI).

I’m now about 6 episodes in, and I’m really enjoying it. A couple of the eps have been pretty intense, and the 40 minutes fly by. I’m a bit concerned they’re going to run out of Serial Killer cliches pretty soon, but so far it’s a pretty fun ride. Mandy is great, Thomas Gibson not-so-much, and the ladies in the unit are pretty easy on the eyes, too.

Is anyone else watching this? Do they manage to maintain the intensity/quality of this program over the entire first season and into Season 2? NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!

It’s an alright show. I like how the team acts like professionals. On a lot of ‘serious’ crime procedurals the police/lawyers/investigators throw one liners at the suspects while in interrogation or while they arrest them. When they arrest a killer on this show they just do it.

It’s still a good show. The only part I don’t like is Garcia. She just hits too many points on the stereotypical-geek-fantasy checklist, and it feels calculating. Then again she’s more believable than the goth chick on NCIS.

I can’t stand Garcia either, but I wasn’t aware “fat” “ugly” and “annoying” were on the geek-fantasy checklist.

Otherwise, it’s a great show.

I don’t think she’s ugly, she’s cute and flirty but not attractive enough to be threatening. I can totally see the Slashdot crowd drooling over her.