Crimson Skies?

I seem to recall having some sound bugs and other issues. I’d love a remake so much.

Yes. Why hasn’t it happened? Who owns it now? Microsoft?

Wizkids, I think. Think there was some talk of it when mechwarrior was in the works.

Thanks guys. I am especially vulnerable right now, being laid off from work with nothing much to do and living off my meager savings while I await my first unemployment check.

Especially you, @BrianRubin for bring it up in the first place. Crimson Skies is a game I never bought when it was new. Why I didn’t buy it, I don’t know (if I had to guess, it was because it never ever seemed to drop in price). And as I have quite a nice collection of boxed games from that era that I bought new, I decided to go looking at eBay for a nice boxed copy with all inserts. Looks like I can get a nice used copy shipped for $50, or a sealed box for $60.

I have decided against it for the time being, even though I’ve got a few retro rigs from that era that will likely run it just fine (one is a PII 266 Win98SE and VooDoo2). However, now eBay keeps throwing up pictures of a ton of other boxed PC games I wish I had. I finally had to shut it down. This is not a good time for me to be browsing eBay. :-(

An emulator? How does it do that?

Sorry Giles, didn’t mean to rub salt in any wounds.

No worries, Brian. I go through these nostalgic phases at least once a year (you just happened to be the guy who triggered it this year), and I don’t think I have any room left on my shelves anyway. I may pick up a copy after things get back to normal, and thankfully it’s not one of those “rare” ultra-expensive games, so it’s not the end of the world.

If it helps, I’m talking about the OG Xbox version, not the PC version.

It will grab it automatically when you run it the first time, I think. May not need to be online after that. Definitely works that way on the Xbox One.

Ugh, it’s not doing that at all on this 360, even after plugging in the Internet. Does one need to be signed up to an account? I think I’ll try that next.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Giles. Hope things turn around quickly for you.

Thanks! But I’ll be totally fine after this virus thing is over. I didn’t mean to sound all ‘woe is me’, as there are others in far worse shape than I am. Being temporarily unable to purchase a fairly expensive retro game is not the same as being unable to purchase food, so I have nothing to complain about. It’s just that a couple of months ago, I could have come into this thread, got all excited, and bought the game with barely a second thought. To have things turn around so fast…I’m still getting used to it, along with everyone else. Okay, now. Back to Crimson Skies!

I did have to sign in to get the emulator, but now it works!

Sweet, you’re in for a good time. I still play that now and then.

Woah, a black 360. That looks really cool. All 4 of my 360s were white (living room, bedroom, basement, parent’s house), so that’s really jarring, yet cool.

Okay, now everyone tell me how I can play Crimson Skies for PC.

Anyone know how this is on the Xbox One? I imagine it is higher res like other OG Xbox releases but was the game any good? I never played the PC original.

At one time I played a number of those PC air combat games and remember loving them even if now I can’t remember their names except for Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and Red Baron (and this got me thinking of Dynamix and another game I played a lot of was Stellar 7 but I think that was tanks though there were also aircraft involved…memory fuzzy about those days).

I never played the sequel (which was on Xbox), but I played that PC game from beginning to end. It was sooooo good.

I think I still have my original disc somewhere.

Try following these instructions, see if it works:

Yes, as I mentioned above I’ve played a lot of this, popped it in when it was made BC for Xbone. Even plugged in my new Duke to complete the experience. And it’s great, just like it was originally. I don’t believe it was 4K enhanced or any other enhancements, but it’s just as fun to play as it once was, still looks and sounds the same.

OMG IT WORKS. There are some funky colors here and there but IT WORKS.