Crimson Skies?

Myself as well. Used to play it via MS Zone. I belonged to the Red Skulls. Lots of fun.

I played through the PC version, and am playing through the xbox version now (I forgot that I bought the Xbox version way back when, and only found it again a few weeks ago).

The two games have very different campaigns, so it’s worth playing the xbox version even if you already played the PC version - I’m enjoying the xbox version more, despite the fact that I played the PC version with a force-feedback joystick. I guess it’s just a little more accessible (and you can do things in the xbox version that you couldn’t on the PC, like man anti-aircraft guns, etc). I like the “do stunts and pick up upgrade tokens” mechanic more than I liked the PC version’s “do stunts and…get a snappy picture taken for your scrapbook”.

But, yeah, if you care at all about realistic flight models, this is not the game for you.

Anyone else notice that Nathan Zachary sounds just like Zapp Brannigan from Futurama?

This game has the best force feedback of any PC game I have ever played. I still break it out every now and then for that alone - it just adds so much to the experience.

I only played the Revenge one, but it was fantastic. I loved the story. I LOVED the atmosphere (the art style is a lot of fun). I loved the simplified flight mechanics. It was a terrific game. I played it on X-Box. I’ve never tried the others in the series. Are they better or worse or the same?

The only other game in the “series” is the original PC one. It’s more simmy than the Xbox game, but still by no stretch of the imagination a true flight sim. Think Wing Commander or X-Wing. I replayed it a couple of years ago, still held up fine. One thing it had that IIRC the Xbox version didn’t was a number of stunts in each level, which worked sort of like bonus objectives. They were things like flying through the O in the Hollywood sign, and you’d get an extra souvenir thing on the mission summary if you pulled it off.

Bloody great game, and I often suggest it to customers because you’d be hard-pressed to find a better game for 3 bucks.

The big downside to the Xbox version (compared to the PC) is that it lacks the ability to customize scenarios then play them. With the PC, you could set up waves of attackers in a chosen location, specifying the skill level and type of craft for leader and wingmen for each wave.

Is there a trick to getting it to work under XP? I bought a budget version of the game a couple of months ago and had severe graphical corruption in hardware mode. Software mode was pretty yukky and I couldn’t find any fansites that were still active.

Did you try running it in Windows 98 compatibility mode?

For the record I loved the PC version a lot more then the Xbox version. I posted this before a long while back but I just really didn’t like what they did to the “universe” in the Xbox version.

I have the same problem. There is no way to get it to work. Trust me, I’ve spent hours tweaking it with no success.

Also, don’t you hate it when people on gaming forums suggest Windows 98 mode or upgrading your video card drivers.

I’ve been gaming for over 15 years and you think I haven’t tried that.

(Nothing personal Orpheo.)

But… how does HE know that?

Man, I don’t know how I missed this thread yesterday. Now you guys have me all pumped up for some Crimson Skies. Is that on the BC list? Also what are you all doing tomorrow night?

Fair enough. I would have thought that it is safe to assume that someone on a dedicated gaming board like QT3 would know about Windows 98 compatibility mode. This is just one of those irrational things that annoys me. I know it makes me sound like a grumpy old bastard but I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul. If you haven’t got a solution that you know works, rather just don’t say anything.

have you tried taking deep breaths? it works!

The thing is, no matter how smart the person you’re dealing with, you’re always better off checking the stupid things first, as they are easy to check, and if you don’t check them first, then you’ll kick yourself later as you try to do the complicated shit only to find it doesnt work because you didn’t check the simple shit. Just have patience.

quoted for truth.

How does that go? When you assume… you… something something… oh these soft spots in my brain… I tell you… :P

I remember trying to get an old adventure game to run under XP (I think it was LSL7) and someone suggested switching to Classic Theme instead of XP theme. I thought it was a crazy suggestion but sure enough, that was indeed the solution. I’ve been a gamer a long time but never would have thought of trying that!

Yeah, I learned that way back when I was doing tech support. Amazing how often it is one of the simple things.

Yes, but where is the poster who told us to check compatibility mode? Is he working his way up a check list towards a solution he knows will work?

This Crimson Skies glitch is also driving me mad. I need a solution. (Short of setting up a Windows 98 virtual machine.)