Crimson Skies?

Aww man. Now I really wish I still had my copy of that game.

I feel like I’ve already tried this. But I want to play this so badly I will try it again.

The PC game came in 2000, and was by the excellent Zipper Interactive, who did Mechwarrior 3 (the best Mechwarrior game).

The 2003 Xbox game (High Road to Revenge) was made by FASA Studios. I only briefly played the beginning of that, and the mission and story it starts off with are definitely not in the original PC version, so it’s not a port, even though it might not necessarily be a “sequel”. I don’t think it references events in the previous game, but it’s another Nathan Zachary adventure (I think that was his name?).

Oh wow, always figured they were pretty similar, thanks! I loved the Xbox version but ran into some mission roadblocks a few years back when I fired it up again. Some of those missions are just overly long & difficult!

They were completely different games. Both were lovely in their own way. The PC game was more ‘sim’-y, and explicitly mission-based. I’d say I played through the whole thing, but there were a couple missions I skipped- it had a neat feature that if you failed a mission several times, it just gave you the option to skip it. I had to do that a few times on the ‘acrobatic stunt’ sort of missions. I wasn’t playing with a flight stick and things got a bit hard sometimes.

The Xbox game was a super arcade-y game, and open-world-ish. At the time it was referred to as Grand Theft Auto with areoplanes.

I was playing with a flight stick and I still found them annoyingly hard. The most time I spent playing the game was on The Zone in multiplayer. I was in the Red Skull clan. RSShark.

I still have nightmares about the Hollywood mission.

oh god it all just came rushing back

My God that was the one!!

Yeah I finished the game, and loved it, but fuuuhhuuuhhuuuuuuuck that mission.

I loved the Pc one, multiplayer felt like Mechwarrior in the sky to me, right down to the mech/plane building

I enjoyed the Hollywood missions too.

Weirdo.

Talking about this made me dig out my HRtR OG Xbox disk and fire it up on the XboneX. It took me a minute to find, as apparently I got this copy from Gamestop for $2.99 at some point years after the original release, as it was just the disk, no manual, not even the original case/cover.

Works like a charm (after a 4.6GB download- that it let me start playing after only 3 gigs or so. Nice). It’s in 4:3 aspect ratio, so no widescreen support (black bars on either side) but there’s no glitching, image is clear, framerate is solid. Still a lot of fun! All the cinematics are super low-res, though. Oh. Well.

I was looking at some screenshots, and there really isn’t much to look at at ground level. Did waves of people not colonize the world in this alternate universe?

You think they could spare polys for that in the early 00s??

Okay. I LOVED that game on PC. Probably played it through 8 or more times. AND built PCs for friends and family so they could do so as well (most didn’t get my fixation).

So, I have to ask, what the HELL? I can follow those directions but it still will not run. The error log says something about my 1060 not supporting the 3D Direct emulator they have in one of the linked patches (I guess).

Anyone who can help will get at least three million bonus points for their participation…

Cheers,

M.

PS. Hollywood is easy. Just make sure to bank your plane so the wings are up and down before going through the “O”.

Says the person who played through the game at least eight times. ;)

Not sure what to tell you in your error. I did what the site told me and got it working on my 2080.

I know, right?!? So what is the difference between your system and mine? I know you have an AMD proc and even a newer GPU. But none of that makes sense to me as to be the problem!!!

The only thing I can think of is my “cut down” spec 1060 included cut out support for that 3D Direct Emulator…

BTW, I went through the steps on that site two times (so far). CS will start and show the mis-colered load screen before crapping out with the error.

But I can still play the cutsceen videos! (after downloading an MPG2 codex haha ha).

The only level that I had SERIOUS problems with (ie. had to do multiple times on each playthrough) was the one where the Auto-copter(s) were out there. Those little shits can turn and put guns on a fixed wing plane WAAAAY too quickly from what I remember.

What mission was that?