Criterion Channel April 8th

I’m chalking it up to being a new service. I’m sure it’ll get better.

Yeah, I am sure you are right.

EDIT: Looks like it might be a Kurosawa marathon for me this weekend.

Ugh, there’s so much on that list I’m looking forward to seeing. It’s gonna be a project of months to get through it all.

A one-hour doc on shooting Blood Simple? Two separate Seven Samurai commentaries? The early Ozu films. Twenty different extras about Solaris. Yes, yes, yes, and yes! Gimme!

I also like how they include different edits for some of the movies.

Thanks. If I don’t have a streamer device, which one is recommended?

I think they’re all going to give you essentially the same Criterion Channel experience since the app is the same across all devices. I agree it could be more user friendly and will hopefully improve in time.

I’ve never tried Roku. I use a little Amazon Fire TV box I got quite a few years ago. You can get the Fire TV Sticks for $40 (HD) or $50 (4K) with an optional $15 ethernet adapter if your wifi signal needs a boost. Personally, I’ve never liked trusting a high-def stream to wifi. They also have a Cube for $120 with voice control and a built-in speaker neither of which appeal to me.

Agree with rr re: the Amazon Fire streaming devices recommendation.

Counterpoint: we just got a cube when it was on sale recently and love it. We’ve had a number of Amazon devices (a few Fire TVs, a few Echoes, Echo Show, Fire TV sticks) but the Cube is great in that it combines all the good stuff from those other devices. If you are looking for a device to connect with your TV, this would be my recommendation.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to dismiss that option entirely. Chances are I’ll go for that when I decide to upgrade my Fire set-up to 4K.

But I’m still leery and weirded out by the whole voice control thing. Can you disable it? Plus a built-in speaker is not something I’d want from a Fire TV device since I already have Sonos in the room.

Why is thread under Book/Comics/TV instead of Movies? The channel only has movies, no TV shows.

It sounds like a great channel once they get their bugs worked out. But the bugs do sound horrible. Getting an error near the end of some movies and not being able to finish the last few minutes of some other movies? That doesn’t sound inviting.

It’s on TV? Not in theaters?

Hmmm, interesting. But the movies that are on the channel were all originally in theaters, right?

Ooh! Ooh! I’m drunk but I have a new one. Okay?

Right, right, right!

But… now listen…

Those MOVIES you speak of… were ALL thoughts in the minds of the writers and directors… now listen…

What if we start a thread about the mind of the creator? The life of the Mind? So then all creations will be in the World Of The Mind Thread? Right? Okay? Please?

But which category do we put that thread in?

Anyone know how VPN friendly the channel is? I assume they want a US credit card.

Argh. So far I’ve been watching CC movies on my PC but tonight I installed the app on my aging Fire TV and discovered an error message that says “This device doesn’t support secure video playback.” Now I have to decide if I want to upgrade my hardware for this.

We got to go visit the Criterion guys in NYC and talk about what makes em tick and what’s up next. This will be released as a HTF podcast and video soon. Setting up I got to see em making big as posters to promote John Waters Polyester

TOO COOOOOL

Thanks! The episode is up now!

Matewan is now official for October. Spine 1000 announcement moved to next week

I just watched Barbarella for the first time.

WOW.