Critically maligned movie that you loved

But you had seen a bad movie. :)
I do love the first quarter of it though. The shades of gray 16-ton bleak part with Dan Hayada saying: “I know he can get the job but can he do the job. I’m not arguing that with you… (repeat)”

Unbreakable & the Final Fantasy movie

Yeah, Armageddon. It was fun. And jingoistic.

Reign of Fire - Most reviewers didn’t seem to care for it, but it was a hell of a fun movie.

Waterworld - although I can’t say I love it to death frankly the panning it got seemed unwarranted.

Vanilla Sky.

Half Baked
Hackers
Anything with Leslie Nielsen (Naked Gun, Wrongfully Accused)
Next Friday
Dirty Work

OOoh, I’ll toss in another vote for Dirty Work. While I’m at it, I’ll vote for The Ladies’ Man, too.

As far as I can recall, these movies that I liked weren’t critically acclaimed (anyone have a link to a site w/archived movie reviews?):

Tommy Boy
Unbreakable
Happy Gilmore
Real Genius
Wierd Science

The Money Pit - one of Tom Hank’s best. Makes me laugh on every viewing.

ID4 - fantastic satire that went totally over the heads of most people

Starship Troopers - ditto

They Live! - ditto

Dark Blue - Kurt Russell at his very best. Great movie.

Totally over the heads of most people? What are you, 10’ tall?

THEY LIVE WE SLEEP!

It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum… and I’m all outta gum…

[quote=“Bub_Andrew”]

Totally over the heads of most people? What are you, 10’ tall?[/quote]

What? Did you take it seriously? Why?

Take what seriously? Your post? No, not really. But I haven’t been taking you seriously since your Half-Life posts. :)

Phew! That’s a relief. Didn’t my affection for Howard the Duck tip you off?

Seriously though, you should watch ID4 again, but this time tell yourself that this is a spoof - notice all the little touches like the recreation of the war room from Destroy All Monsters, and the little notes up on the bulletin boards etc. Appreciate the movie for what it is.

Oh I have another one that everyone took too seriously:

Stephen King’s Sleepwalkers. Sheer genius.

I also enjoyed Maximum Overdrive.

And another steady favorite is Charlie Sheen’s The Chase.

I thought ID4 was hilarious. Its an entertaining piece of hollywood shlock in its own right. Scratch just beneath the surface and its the best piss take of american movie culture and stereotypes I’ve seen for years (or did I just read far more into it than there actually is?).

Speaking of ID4 being a spoof, I loved Mars Attacks which didn’t do so well with the critics, if I remember correctly. Brilliant film.

I don’t think it’s a spoof so much as a nod to the monster movies of old. If it was a spoof, it’d be at least obvious enough for the critics to notice. If the critics themselves can’t notice the spoofing, well then - obviously ID4 did a shit-poor job of spoofing.

I don’t think it’s a spoof so much as a nod to the monster movies of old. If it was a spoof, it’d be at least obvious enough for the critics to notice. If the critics themselves can’t notice the spoofing, well then - obviously ID4 did a shit-poor job of spoofing.[/quote]

Well, if not an outright spoof, it was certainly winking at the audience (and itself).

I don’t think it’s a spoof so much as a nod to the monster movies of old. If it was a spoof, it’d be at least obvious enough for the critics to notice. If the critics themselves can’t notice the spoofing, well then - obviously ID4 did a shit-poor job of spoofing.[/quote]

I’m sorry to say that most critics aren’t fans of old monster movies. This is often painfully clear. Their idea of a good time is a Meryl Streep or Woody Allen movie.