Crossovers/small SUVs - recommendations?

I’m sort of in the market for a crossover or small SUV. I plan to buy used, and I’d like something I can get with less than 40K miles for $16K or under.

Any of you guys driving something you really like? Thanks!

Paging Dr. Wong. Paging Dr. Wong. Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

I’m sure Roger will be here any minute to tell you about his Rav 4. I think he loves it so much he married it last year in New Hampshire in a civil ceremony.

Are you even allowed to drive something that isn’t a Subaru? Don’t they kick you out of the club?

Sorry to disappoint, Ed. I love my RAV-4, but that’s because it’s a First generation model, back when they were the same width as a mini cooper and only 1.5 feet longer. Back when they looked so cute that no one gave me crap for buying a chick car. Back when gas was $0.70 a gallon and it was okay to get 20mpg. Back when they still offered a 5-speed manual transmission option.

Those days are over. Today, I can’t recommend the modern flavors of RAV-4.

If I wrecked it tomorrow, I would replace it with a Honda Fit.

Obligatory picture of my 1998 Toyota RAV-4:

You never disappoint, Roger.

Ford Escape is really setting the bar as far as features for the modern age, though I’m not sure about used pricing. Save up and buy the new hybrid!!

H.

Yeah, it’s an unfunded mandate - those damned things are PRICEY.

The Ford Edge is pretty cool-looking.

I have absolutely loved driving the earlier Honda CRVs.

The only one I have ever driven was a Subaru Forester. Was OK, but just OK. Can see no reason not to get an estate (station wagon) instead.

I just can’t picture myself in a station wagon. Nothing wrong with 'em, but not for me (unless someone just gives me one of those nice-looking Volvo ones).

I know a couple of couples who love their Nissan Rogues. The first have two middle-school kids, the second have two large dogs. Also, it holds five regular-sized adults when we go for lunch.

Interesting, and in my price range… thanks!

We’ve had a CR-V for seven years and it’s been fabulous. The new ones seem really nice too, with much improved interiors. It’s not a “go out in the woods and run over deer” SUV, more of a car+ type of SUV, but it’s a Honda, it’s comfortable, durable, and well-built.

I like the Edge for this niche too but those things go up in price FAST. If you think Subies are expensive (and they are, nowadays) the Edge will not be any better.

I have heard good things about the Hyundai Sante Fe and the wife and I are looking at test driving it and several of these vehicles come the first of the year, so I’ll check in on this thread often.

I have a 3 year old RAV 4 and love it. It sits up high so I can see everything, rides comfortably, stores lots of stuff and gets decent gas mileage. They’ve been one of the top 2 small SUVs for Car and Driver something like 5 years running. Great car.

I test drove a Honda CR-V when I bought my RAV 4 and considered it a tossup. They also are highly rated.

I have a 14 year old Subaru Forester (got the very first model year). Still runs fine, though it looks like shit. My sister (she’s in the club) bought one a year ago and loves hers.

I ended up getting a Hyundai Sante Fe when renting cars a number of times and found those to be perfectly good small SUVs as well. In fact, if I needed to buy a new one today, those would be close to the top of the list.

You won’t go wrong with one of those 4.

The Hyundai Santa Fe and it’s sister vehicle the Kia Sorrento are high on my list of possible purchases for my new car near the end of the year.

I’ve looked over both extensively and test driven them. The exterior styling is a little nicer on the Santa Fe, but it’s also about $1000-$1500 more. The interior of both vehicles is functionally identical right down to the gear shift with it’s funky Sportmatic (manuamatic) shifting options.

I like the Ford Escape as well, and it does come very well equipped for a decent price. The Toyota RAV4 is nice, but more expensive than the other vehicles and I can’t get past the spare tire on the rear hatch (which then opens to the right, not clamshell like most small SUV’s). The other issue with every make that isn’t Hyundai/Kia is that they only have 3 year 36,000 mile warranties standard, whereas Kia and Hyundai have 5 year 60,000 mile warranties. I really like the idea that my vehicle will be under warranty for LONGER than I’m making payments on it (based on a 48-month loan).

Am I the only one who had no idea that Hyundai owns Kia?

I liked my Hyundai Tucson so much that when Mr. Uninsured, unlicensed California driver totaled it out for me on I-15, I got another one.

One thing I’ve noticed in my research is that a ton of these little SUVs have 4-cylinder engines. Seems like they’d be a little underpowered. Is that the case?