Crossovers/small SUVs - recommendations?

Yeah nice pick! The Murano is a great looking SUV, though its starting price is where my maximum price was.

Pics or it didn’t happen! :p

We wanted to look at a Murano, though it was a bit pricier and larger than perhaps optimal for us, but the only Nissan dealer in town had exactly zero 2016s in stock.

The 2016 actually isn’t out yet. The 2015 came out late (March this year)

That would be why they had none I guess! For a variety of reasons, we were looking only at 2016s though. I do love the way Murano’s look.

Looks like 2019 models are really upping their game, they all look great.

I’ll probably be on the market next year, as I approach 70k miles on my CX-5 in a few days.

Not the type of vehicles that interest me, though my wife has a '16 Ford Escape, but you’re right, there is so much going on in this segment.

As always, the key things are purpose and price. What do you need it to do, and what are you willing to pay? I mean, if you forced me to buy an SUV, what I’d want is a sport SUV but the cost would be pretty outrageous, for something like a Audi SQ5, BMW x3 M40i, AMG GLC 43, or a Porsche Macan. In the realm of the realistic, it seems it’s hard to find a mainstream SUV that isn’t very good–they’re all reliable, comfortable, and have gobs of features it appears. No reason you can’t ride pretty for under forty large these days for sure.

Man, that new 2019 Chevy Blazer sure looks cool. Never again though. I bought a brand new Blazer back in the 90’s when they were still actual trucks and not crossovers, and while I absolutely loved that truck, it did not love me back. Multiple failed EGR valves, a 4X4 coupler that came uncoupled TWICE, sticking me and my young kids in a ditch during a winter storm the second time, a braking system that ate through pads like candy and a host of other minor issues. I know it’s a totally different vehicle now, but Chevy lost a customer for life after my experiences.

I’ve recommended it before and will do so again for the 2019 model, the KIA Sorento is a fantastic Crossover SUV. Drives and handles great, good gas mileage, tons of safety and convenience features, and one of the better values out there in terms of features for the price. Consumer Reports rates it a Best Buy, and KIA has just as high of a reliability rating as Toyota or Honda. I’ve owned a Sorento for 5 years now and it’s been my favorite car in 30+ years of driving experiences. I like it so much I plan on handing it down to my daughter when she turns 16 in a little over a year from now and purchasing a new one for myself.

If you’re looking at Crossovers, go test drive an AWD KIA Sorento. It’s worth your time.

My sister is lusting for one of the new XC40s.

Volvo’s subscription model is really intriguing, too. It sounds expensive, but this is what you get:

All users will pay a flat monthly fee that’s the same for everyone regardless of region or customer age. This will get them access to a vehicle and, depending on regional availability, concierge services like cleaning, fueling, dealer pickup, and package delivery to their car. The subscription also covers all maintenance, registration, taxes, and insurance. Volvo says the service will make car “ownership” as easy as having a mobile phone. Just as many do with their phones, Care by Volvo users will be able to upgrade to a new Volvo every two years. In a video, Volvo says subscribers can also get a temporary loaner if they need a bigger vehicle for a weekend trip or a special occasion. The model is similar to Book by Cadillac, but in GM’s subscription-based service you can swap out your vehicle on-demand.

The subscription services do offer a lot of concierge-level amenities, for sure. For some of the high end deals, like Porsches, the cost is more than you’d pay to buy a car, certainly, but I guess if you can afford to buy a 911 you can afford two or three grand a month for the privilege of switching out models on the fly. I don’t know Volvo’s pricing (not offered in my area so the website wouldn’t give me any real info), but it would seem that for that audience–upscale but not filthy lucre level–the costs would have to approximate a lease to be viable.

Is your Sorento a 4-cyl or the V6. We recently rented one and it was excellent, but it was the V6 so I’d like to hear from owners whether the 4-cyl is sufficient.

My 2012 AWD is a 4-cyl GDI with 191hp. The GDI (direct injection) engine (optional) was more powerful and fuel efficient than the standard, which was a lackluster 170hp (I think…long time ago). It is peppy and I’ve never had any issue with underperformance.

For 2019 the engine lineup looks a lot different. The 4-cyl is a 2.4 liter 185hp that should be fine for most driving situations. If you live somewhere with a lot of steep grades, or you tow anything, you will want the v6 with 290hp.

I’d also recommend the EX trim or above. The L (basic) trim is garbage, and you can’t get AWD with it. LX is OK, but you miss out on a lot of the features that make the vehicle a joy to drive. AWD can be added to any trim except the L for $1800, and I highly recommend it. My AWD has saved my bacon on numerous occasions in poor weather conditions.

One negative thing about the new Sorento…the third row is totally useless. I really don’t know why they insisted on adding it to all the models (it used to be only the top trim came with the option). When I say useless, I mean the only people who could ride back there are children small enough that they’d require car seats anyway, which you aren’t going to put in the third row. Everyone I know who has the third row just leaves it collapsed all the time. The Sorento is NOT a rival for larger 3-row SUVs, it’s basically a fantastic 4/5-person crossover SUV.

I’ve started my research for a new vehicle for late this year or early next year , I had the Honda CRV on my radar as I do like the look of it, and am well aware of their past fantastic reliability and resale value.

Seems the 2017-2018 CRV’s have engine issues, regarding oil dilution with their 1.5L turbo engine.

Maybe you get all that, or maybe not:

Anyone shopping in this segment–mid-line SUV–has an embarrassment of riches. There are so many solid choices.

Sadly, I loathe SUVs, and the stuff I like seems to be fading away in terms of choices available, especially choices suitable for the non-trust fund set.

Personally I have been eyeing a Sorento for when my 06 Ford Escape conks out. Hoping it can make it to like 150k, but we will see.

Consumer Reports loves the Sorento, and they highly recommend the EX trim with the V6, as you basically get a lot of luxury features and a peppy car for way cheaper than the lexus and bmw equivalents.

Glad that Kia has sorted the reliability issues as well, as they are now fairly highly regarded in terms of reliability (not quite Honda or Toyota) but certainly better than most American manufacturers.

The problem I have with the Toyotas and Hondas is legroom. It is insane how little legroom the front of these cars have. The Korean cars are typically better (culture thing) but fitting my 6’5" long legged frame into an SUV should be easy, but I have a hard time with the CR-V. Rav4 is good, and my 6’7" brother drives one.

Seeing this topic resurface has caused eye twitching, cold sweats and panic attacks. I’m posting this as a means of therapy, not to convey information. As such, you have no business trusting my opinions on the matter. If rationality is what you seek, you are wasting your time.

2015: My car is a hand-me-down 2004 vintage Honda CRV, that I have owned for 5 years. It is the finest vehicle I have owned. All-wheel drive, full-sized spare (both important to me, more on that later) decent visibility, comfortable, good ergonomics, decent mileage, mechanically bullet proof and a picnic table built into the back deck. It is one of the finest small SUV/Crossovers ever made.

The winds of change were blowing me back to my home state of Montana. I enjoy taking the roads less traveled and the CRV can do most (80%. That number comes from my gut, not my head, but if you’re still reading this you don’t care) of the off-road trails. A decent 4WD system and the confidence of having a full-sized spare can get you long way. In Montana, though, that 20% is still a lot of road. There are some old jeep trails and forest service roads that can take you some amazing places.

And so I began shopping for a more capable vehicle, something new, not new-to-me. Something $30k-ish, seats 4 comfortably, reliable, 4WD, uncomplicated, body on frame, a manual if at all possible, not a truck, not a Jeep (look, at this point you’re just here for the entertainment anyway).

Here’s the entire massive list of SUVs that fit the criteria:

1. Toyota 4Runner
  2. Toyota FJ Cruiser
  3. Nissan Xterra

Unbeknownst to me (having followed the car industry not at all) The SUVs that I grew up with in the 80s through the noughts had suffered an extinction level event, and emerging from the rubble were a slew of crossovers that were for the most part less capable than my old CRV.

1. 4Runner. The early models where great, but the 5th gen models got hit with the ugly stick, become bloated, and there was high price of admission into the cult of Toyota: $40k.
  2. FJ Cruiser. Last model year was 2014, but there where still new ones on the lot. More reasonably priced, $30k for a base model. Manual transmission! But… 3 doors. It is the result of a design meeting where someone had to sign off on a vehicle that looked like a Tonka toy and had to driven via echolocation.
  3. Nissan Xterra. What the hell was an Xterra? Wait, they’ve been making these since 2000? Huh. Well I liked the old Pathfinder before it got neutered, so I guess I’ll give it a look. Also, I’m out of options. 4 doors, manual transmission, good visibility, fully loaded for $30k… and will be discontinued after 2015. Sonofa… Fine. Whatever.

So after doing my version of due diligence, I slammed plastic (are you not entertained!?). 3 years in, and I’m still happy with my little dinosaur. Actually, I own 2 dinosaurs, as I was able to keep the old CRV by convincing my then-girlfriend-now-wife to part with her gremlin-riddled Mazda 6. But she’s looking real hard at a Mazda CX-5.

You can only fight what passes as evolution in the car industry for so long.

I love the story, @cannedwombat cannedwombat, especially as you, too, see the beauty of the nocturnal marsupial. My wife’s CR-V lasted over twelve years and 160k miles, while a colleague’s went well over 200k.

Just out of curiosity, though, why not a Jeep? Admittedly, I have never owned one and really don’t have any desire to, but it seems they still make pretty capable off-road SUV type cars, at least from what I’ve read. You’re right though that pretty much the entire SUV landscape is very short on the “sport” and really long on “utility,” as defined in exactly the same terms as minivans and before that station wagons used to be.

Also, how about a truck? I mean, maybe not the most elegant thing but a 4x4 pickup might do the trick?

My CRV is at 150k and it isn’t even winded. I’ve heard that Honda overbuilt the early models to get their brand established in the SUV market. I got to drive a 2016 model for a day while they were doing routine maintenance on the old one. It just made me sad.

As for your questions… you seem to want to take a trip down irrational road. Very well. Buckle up.

Why not a Jeep? I’ve been in older ones (2010ish), and hated their on-road manners. I have to daily the Xterra. It’s no Land Cruiser, but I can live with it. Also being able to remove the doors, roof, windshield, are not what I consider to be features. And they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the shop. That might have more to do with the driver.

Why not a truck? They’re too big. The Xterra has a wheel base of 106" vs 127" for something like a Tacoma. Might not seem like a lot, but it matters on trails. And then there is the matter of passengers. You need something with an extended cab to quell the murderous rage anybody who has to travel in the back will incur upon you. Extended cab means a short bed (see: size). Fine. I don’t want what I’m carrying in the bed to get wet so that means a topper to maximize the space. Swell. And now I can only access the bed through the tailgate. Huzzah.

Also, if you own a truck, you get to move everyone else’s stuff.

That’s all you need to say. I’ve owned one truck. Never again. And your logic is hardly irrational. Makes total sense to me.

Then again, my wife considers me nuts when it comes to cars. I tend to have specific tastes and also relish, um, new things, while she likes to keep a vehicle forever.

Yes, my wife also excessively rational. I’m all for saving money, but I’m tired of her 2006 Corolla. I offer her to go get a car any time, and she’s says ‘ok, but not this weekend, maybe later.’ She likes the Rav4 somewhat. I did really like the Sorento we drove.