Crucial DDR4 and single vs dual rank memory. The truth is out there!

I see this heading toward retailers just charging the hell extra for dual rank modules. I’d be shocked if it hasn’t happened already.

I have a new computer arriving today and was thinking about buying another 16 or 32gigs to add to it. It’s a Lenovo and the Bios doesn’t support XMP so I’m limited on what memory I can buy. Anyway, I’m looking at getting this Crucial RAM and Amazon has some listed as single and dual ranked. The dual ranked is slightly more than the single ranked, if I’m going to have all 4 memory slots filled is there any benefit on paying a few extra bucks for “dual ranked” ram?

Amazon.com: Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 3200 MT/s (PC4-25600) CL22 DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4DFD832A : Everything Else

I recall reading, maybe it was the Igor’s Lab post, where having 4 sticks of dual ranked memory (thus called quad ranked) was hard on the memory controller.

Yeah it was here on the first page:

4 sticks of dual ranked performed apparently worse.

hmmm, ok, I guess I wait until my computer arrives, see what type of RAM is already installed and go from there then. Thanks!

I got some extra Rambus RIMMs lying around I can sell you for an arm and a leg.

So my first of three orders of RAM arrived and crisis averted, it was Dual Rank DDR4. Which is apparently fantastic according to passmark:

https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram.php?ram=Crucial+Technology+BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1+16GB&id=14508

Crucial bl16g36c16u4b.m16fe1
32GB (16x2) kit DDR4-3600

Be interesting to see what the other set ends up being.

Here are the stats I found on Passmark for the 4 different types of this 16GB memory:

I’m probably missing something but why would RGB make a difference in read/write speeds?

Probably voltage levels.

Speed of light my friend. Trip the light fantastic.