Crusader Kings 3 - Downton Abbey for the 12th Century

I think about this quite often, with a lot of games. To what extent do I want a simulation of being in those shoes? And to what extent do I want a game?

For me, it can be tough to find the sweet spot, and I find the problem especially true with RPGs.

At the end of the day, mechanics rule 90% of the time IMO. This means that immersion and narrative is a layer painted on top of mechanics, which tend to be things like non-obvious decisions, puzzles, or tests of skill. We’re really playing Tetris, but our brain likes it a lot more if Tetris looks like piloting a spaceship, keeping the focus on the immersion.

These Paradox games are in a really tough spot, because they treat history so seriously. For immersion to work, they can’t have mechanics that push you to do wildly unrealistic things. The AI also needs to be up to scratch, which is nigh impossible in a realtime game. Also, EU4 has very little for you to do if you don’t expand. It’s essentially a very complicated, asymmetric version of Risk. If you can accept it for what it is, that’s fine. My brain doesn’t allow me to do that.

For example, it appears that EU3 had mechanics that were less ‘fun’ for most people, but far more realistic in terms of the resulting gameplay. Policies, for example, were long-term goals that had to be slowly adjusted, rather than mana points you got to spend to get instant effects. My brain prefers the less ‘fun’ (i.e. harsher) mechanics if they result in more realism (i.e. immersion).

But ultimately, the inability to play tall rather than wide basically kills the entire EU series for me, since most countries did and do play tall rather than wide in real life. The game is therefore completely flawed from my perspective at a very fundamental level. It would work fine for a fantasy world, but not for the one we inhabit.

Sound & music. With examples!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-32-going-medieval-on-audio.1401422/

It occurs to me now that Andreas Waldetoft is probably the most listened to musician/composer in my life. Or would it be Jeremy Soule (via GW/Elder Scrolls/SupCom)?

Also amused by the escalating “Errors: 2388” notification in the examples

I read that as “getting it in a month” and I rushed to check the release date. Drat!

That must have been really painful, I’m sorry! The comment didn’t age well in another respect, as cyberpunk was delayed again shortly after.

An offer you can’t refuse, more options for feudal contracts than previously announced.

Revisiting portraits!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-34-its-all-about-appearances.1406933/

Character portraits have greatly improved since the initial batch last year

Appearance is tracked across dozens of facial features and they are mixed together for children, allowing for actual cross cultural appearances rather than the CK2 RNG of which portraitset gets used. Also people carry two sets of appearance gene features (dominant/recessive) and its chance based which get expressed in their children (so they’re not attempting a full genetic simulation).

Also some nasty looking disease sores

Also character switching at any point when playing nonironman

Wow, it looks tremendous. I am really glad that they moved to full bodies instead of just faces, and having it be animated models rather than static portraits. When screenshots first came out it looked like it could go either way whether it would be an improvement or not, but looking at the latest screenshots it’s so clear how much more immersive it will be.

Can’t wait for this game.

Sweet!!!

Ok, I’m yet another person dropping in thread to ask whether I should consider this. I’ve recently been playing a good bit of Vic 2 and having a blast but I’ve got zero background to the CK world.

I"m intrigued, but see a lot of discussion around how this is really different from other PDX works, but I assume that doesn’t mean you can’t sort out how to get along in this one too, right?

I know, no way to really answer that, I guess I"m just thinking out loud here, haha

CK2 is free to play, so you could take for a spin, without all the DLC obviously.

Oh, did not know that. Will check it out!

I’m pretty sure I’ll be tempted to buy this, just like CK2, but than find out after 30 hours (a single game) that it’s too fiddly and aimless to stick with long term. But, that’s PDX - roll the dice with each game and see what you get.

I would wait until it releases and then try the game out on the xbox game pass thing. CK2 has a big learning curve, and it really takes time to get into it. It’s a brilliant game, but if you’re on the fence about whether this type of your game is your thing it’s probably better to wait for the sequel that’s coming out soon. Supposedly, CK3 will have much better tutorials and a more intuitive way to learn the game systems.

Of course, if you can figure out Vic 2 you certainly have the gaming muscle to take either of these on. You’ll probably love them!

Performance seems rock solid and scales great:

It looks like this will be the first Paradox game that I almost never play at Speed 5, it looks too fast!

They’ve also started an ‘introducing CK3’ video series that explores the concepts in the game:

Crusader Kings 3 being streamed in a few minutes.

That’s a great update. I’m very glad they thought through these issues at the start.

“For instance, we’ve had to on numerous occasions restrict seduction against the player so that they don’t get absolutely spammed if they happen to play one of the few female rulers around at game start.”

Very realistic!

That stream was great, the game looks so good in motion.

I haven’t been this hyped for a game since… EU4.

Video on succession