Crusader Kings 3 - Downton Abbey for the 12th Century

This sounds like a mod someone would make. Does it need to be like this in core?

Heretic.

I’m hoping they have a decent combat system this time.

Medieval combat has so much potential to be cool as f.

Needn’t be hands on, could take a leaf out of Dominions’ book.

They have UI/font scale in CK2 these days so yes… :)

Which is what happened with EU IV at launch, but that turned out ok.

Hmm, EU3 only had several expansions, it wasn’t exactly brimming with features as CK2 is now. I always thought the EU 3 / 4 thing was the change of sliders to ideas and the introduction of monarch points. Some EU3 fans simply didn’t like the changes to the core mechanics, but they lost out because EU4 was as addictive as crack to a large number of people.

I recall complaints that EU4 at launch was missing features that were present in the fully expanded EU3. Admittedly this wasn’t common in the reviews though.

I’m not going to go as far as saying it is ugly or a huge downgrade, but I will admit there is a certain charm to the current 2D style that gets lost in the move to 3D. I’m curious if it is an old-man eyes thing that makes 2D better.

The change of sliders to monarch points and 40 disjoint, but not really, national focuses into idea groups. Oh, and making trade not completely abstracted, but something you could easily see.
I’m sure it’s pretty much the same things, but I could never stop having AP when trying EU3, while EU4 was always smooth sailing. Well, Quill18’s enthusiasm helped a lot too.

The biggest feature EU IV was missing over EU III is one it still doesn’t have.

I’ve somewhat soured on Paradox in the last couple years. Launch something mediocre and then ‘improve’ it with tons of expensive DLC and 2 years later you might have something approaching decent. Stellaris is still a meh experience.

I think I’ll wait several years if I buy it at all. I’m still pretty happy with CK2.

Regarding Stellaris I agree with you. HOI IV and EU IV certainly weren’t as you described. Imperator is debatable but it is more than decent now and it didn’t take 2 years or one extra $.

You do understand, thats their entire business model, right?

Its called the razor blade model…give the razor away at ‘cost’, so they keep buying the razor BLADES forever.

heck, even ck2 base game is now free…but the blades, i mean the dlc will never be free

and quite frankly, if you’ve played one paradox grand strategy game, you’ve played them all…there, I said it

This is not correct - they release actual improvements and fixes as free updates alongside additional paid DLC which contains more content. That’s a very different thing than what you are describing.

I remember EU4 shipping as basically a superset of EU3 + expansions. I went directly from playing one to the other and raved about it at the time.

So if you’ve played Hearts of Iron you’ve played Victoria 2 or Crusader Kings? Not seeing it.

Can we get a “Paradox is dumb” thread like the Epic thread so people can go post their original takes about DLC there so we don’t have to read them over and over in actual game threads?

Sure you can, just be sure to give it a catchy title when you do it.

Sure, but don’t expect anyone not to comment on DLC for the specific game or series.

Meanwhile, reddit is focusing on the very important discussion of whether PDS should remove the expression “Deus Vult” from the game or not. It really is a silly place sometimes.

• PDS should remove the expression “Deus Vult” from CK3.
  • No it shouldn’t.
  • What the hell is Deus Vult?
0 voters

Paradox had the problem of DLC content fixing their actual games. Then they recovered from that with their newer versions… and then kind of stumbled with Stellaris. CK and EUIV though seemed pretty great out of the box to me, and yes I played the hell out of CK1 and EU3… and neither series feels the same to me either.

God wills it that Deus Vult should be removed.
I don’t know, nobody uses it in my country, but, if it is indeed used by white supremacy groups (and not just a 4chan meme), it’s worth considering at least restricting it. Which is what they’re doing anyway, thinking about how to apply it historically instead of a memey option.