Crypt of the NecroDancer

Yeah, fantastic game I totally need to return to.

Picked this up on ps4… And I just realized that I was unconsciously scrolling my iPad to the beat of Zone 1. If that doesn’t make a good game, I don’t know what does!

Picked this up since it’s on sale for the Lunar New Year. Looking forward to it (but of course, it’s in my backlog!)

Title-appropriate thread necro!

The music for this game came up in the Enter the Game Music Thunderdome thread (Disco Descent / 1-1), and quickly became a front-runner in my mind. I pulled my vita out of mothballs and bought this because it seemed like a perfect game to play on my commute.

It’s really good!

Even though I’d heard a lot of good things about it, I was a little bit worried that it would be a stronger concept than game per se, but fortunately, the game delivers as well. There’s a lot of clever design here.

So far I’m able to beat Zone 1 pretty easily, but I find there’s a pretty large difficulty spike going into Zone 2. I’ve considered working through the zone in Bard Mode first, but I don’t like the muted bard-mode soundtrack as much as the standard one, so it’s hard to get motivated to do that.

I can’t remember how far I got (zone 2 sounds about right) but I kept hitting a wall and eventually threw the towel in. On some levels I just could not feel the beat. Loved the music and concept though. Like you, I also played it on the Vita which is a solid version.

In general, I’ve found that this game has a pretty consistent and we’ll sloped difficulty curve. I’ve been almost entirely stymied at each new zone, and as I’ve become familiar with the levels and the enemies have been able to slowly advance through them, until I’m just a lucky item drop away from beating the boss. I guess that this is the general roguelike progression, but condensed.

I’m at the point now that (as Cadence), I can semi reliably get to Dead Ringer (the Zone 4 boss), so it’s more or less a matter of time until I can beat him.

Overall, I think this game is more successful at it’s concept than I ever would have expected. A+, would buy again, etc.

Yay, I beat Cadence mode, and Melody was pretty simple after that.

Fuck Aria mode. I guess I’m done with the game, then.

What the what?

This is amazing.

Fuck yes - I love CotND so much, and this new version looks just amazing. I am there day one.

If it’s tuned just slightly easier, I think it will be perfect. The indie masocore requirement of perfecting Aria’s levels to complete the story was a bit much in the original, but Nintendo tends to make things a little more accessible, so I have high hopes in that regard.

*plays Cadence of Hyrule for about half an hour*

Haha, okay, fuck this forever.

I’ve put a little time into Cadence of Hyrule, and it’s interesting. It’s a fairly different game than CotND, although it shares the core combat mechanics.

CoH has individual screens, and when you kill all the enemies on each screen, the beat timer goes away and you’re in free-walk mode, like in the level select dungeon of CotND. There’s also a lot more gadgets and options and things on the menu. It means there’s much less of a flow-state groove where you just sink into the song, which is one of the things that was so excellent about Necrodancer. There’s generally just way more “stuff” around. You can bust bushes to get rupees, or hearts, so there’s a lot more poking around, songs don’t seem to end, so you can take all the time you want, etc.

CoH plays a lot more like a Zelda game with Necrodancer combat than a reskinned Necrodancer. I’m not sure how I feel about it yet.

I’m getting back into this game, and I forgot how good it was. I actually think it’s my favorite of the rogue-lites, with Spelunky a close second.

I’m trying to do the monk character, and inevitably, when the pace goes up, I’ll step on some gold and kill myself :) Good times. Also I got stuck on Aria way back and don’t know if I can get back to that level of ability. How many people here have finished Aria and the Monk?

My girlfriend was looking at Cadence of Hyrule, so I fired this up to show it to her so she could see how the game works. I forgot how good this is (common theme, apparently)! I bought the expansion for half price on Steam immediately after.