Cryptic Hired Bill Roper

Hey, don’t pick my quote! I thought it was probably a good business decision, at least for all I know about the situation. :)

They should offer them to the guy with 36 accounts out of pity.

But yeah, they’d lose a lot of money offering lifetime accounts - those are really only offered when the MMO producer needs some quick cash and/or needs to compromise long term profit in order to desperately try to build a sustainable long-term user base. What are the games that offered lifetime accounts - Hellgate…D&D Online…Saga over Ryzom, er…

How can they offer lifetime subscriptions to that which has … no life?

LOTRO also had a lifetime subscription, which would have been a decent investment if you got it initially. However, you couldn’t have known it would be. Actually, they found labels in the code of the latest WOW clients for paid hair style changes. It’s basically been confirmed it’s for micro transactions in the future. Blizzard’s probably just going to use it as another way to milk money from their huge subscriber base, but it also might be used in the future as a way to reduce or prevent increasing subscription costs to retain and gain users. However, if the past is any indication, I doubt they’ll need to take those kind of measures to maintain the size of their subscription base.

Does this mean that Champions Online will have no respecs, mail, auction, or good GUI at launch?

The Champions Online community is having a mixed reaction over all of this, but leveling false accusations against EA never gets old, it seems:

I wouldn’t blame Hellgate’s failure on this guy though, I’d blame it on EA. EA has shown to me time and again to be a rather low quality company with non-existant customer support and the desire to screw over customers with hidden programs that prevent them from playing their game (see: SecuROM).

Here’s what a dev said:

Bill wasn’t hired just with Champions in mind; he’s actually the Design Director of Cryptic as a whole. He’ll be able to take on some of the duties that I’ve got. Truthfully, this will put me more into the rule of a designer, rather than a manager of designers.

One of Bill’s talents, probably back from his Blizzard days, is adding that extra layer of polish to make a game great. I think that we’ll be entering that with Champions…so it’s a good time. for him to join the team. Besides, when someone of Bill’s experience and talent comes along, you snatch them up! It’s REALLY hard to get people that good.

All that Hellgate stuff aside, since when did Bill Roper have proper game design experience? AFAIK he contributed to the manual layouts and do voiceover/sound related work at Blizzard. He certainly played no part in the actual game design of Diablo and Diablo II, or even Hellgate: London for that matter. Managing corporate interests and marketing isn’t the same thing at all. It’s like hiring Ken Kutaragi to design your game.

You can bet it’ll get activated in Asia in addition to, or in exchange for, the hourly charge per account.

Bill wasn’t hired just with Champions in mind; he’s actually the Design Director of Cryptic as a whole. He’ll be able to take on some of the duties that I’ve got. Truthfully, this will put me more into the rule of a designer, rather than a manager of designers.

Dear god…there goes the neighborhood.
Oh well, I was holding low expectations out of STO, but now there truely is no hope.
Moving on to SW:TOR…waiting for the other shoe to fall.

One of Bill’s talents, probably back from his Blizzard days, is adding that extra layer of polish to make a game great.

Yeah, okay…I’ve just laughed so hard, I punctured a rib. I’m dead.
Bethesda fans rejoice.

I’m done, I don’t want to play games anymore. It’s all like a poor DNA strand that’s been through mytosis one time too many, all degraded, deteriorated, twisted and unfunctional.
The double helix been exhausted to boot and turned moot.
Everywhere I look, just same morally bankrupt persons, same rehashes and clones, zero evolution, zero innovation.
I’m going to stick to old school games, where it was still creative and fun, instead of hardware demanding and 99% eye candy with 1% design.

Or your console, apparently.

SIX HUNDRED NINTY NINE YOU ASS DOLLARS!

Excellent. Does that mean you’ll stop posting here? We’d all be down with that.

Hair changes are implemented already and free. Blizz has already said they are considering micro charges for new changes that they may implement, similar to paid transfers. I think one example I read was face changing.

I should probably let everyone know, now, that Cryptic has been on a MAJOR hiring binge for the last 3 months. Maybe longer. They’ve had ads on Craigslist for everythign from community manager to star trek UI designer. Roper just came along at the right time, I’d imagine. Experience is always a good thing when hiring. Even bad experience.

Zug Zug.

Well, he was senior producer in Diablo 2 and Managing Producer in Hellgate, which probably means experience managing a team. I think that´s the point here, managing a group of designers, more than designing.

I like Bill Roper and Cryptic will probably benefit from his experience and mistakes. Good luck.

I want the captain of the Titanic to navigate my fleet.

I prefer the drunken captain of the Exxon Valdez. He’s a real party animal.

It’s the Dave Wannstedt principle. Didn’t the other architects of Flagship go on to Turbine? Exactly the same thing. Doesn’t matter how much you screwed up your last MMO (okay, “MMO”), you’ll always find a job working on other one. The bigger the failure the better!

He certainly wouldn’t be so cocky, so a good choice.

Oh just go away and do another doomed fansite already.

So wait, people are saying Roper had no influence on projects he’s been on that have been great…but also that since he’s now involved with other games his influence is going to make them turn out bad?

It’s all EA’s fault that Hellgate: London turned out bad and it’s all to Bill Roper’s praise that Diablo II turned out good. Or something like that. It all depends on who you talk to.

El Oh El