Cuba has a thread now

Because it didn’t before somehow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/11/cuba-protests/

Also:

I assume her reference to rights to protest are God-given inalienable ones, because I’m fairly sure those are the only ones that exist in Cuba.

Correct me if I am wrong. But ending sanctions on Cuba will not help the Cuban people. It would only enrich the government?

The DSA is going to have a tough time with this one, because I’m pretty sure they do in fact support the government that the people are protesting against in this case.

The line I’ve seen from leftists is this is overblown and a false flag propped up by the far-right.

I’m not buying it. Biden would probably be overjoyed if the regime got overthrown there- that would help Dems out in Florida so much, especially if he played a role in liberating it. (Honestly, if it gets to a civil war stage, Biden should intervene just for that reason)

Turns out Commies aren’t really for the people that much at the end of the day.

Ending sanctions against Cuba would massively help the Cuban people, as well as enrich the government and the corrupt actors within it.

Given that US policy is regime change, and to do otherwise costs you a swing state for good, it’s not going to change.

For the sake of US national interest (and the main US national interest to me right now is preserve democracy in the US), I think taking the Cuba question off the table for good would be worth a large cost in blood, treasure, and potentially international reputation.

If the Cuban government pulls a massacre, that would be causus belli to invade and nationbuild. It would be a very winnable war with clear, achievable, positive goals (this is my standard for using ground troops) , we have a large exile class (most of whom are heavy Republican donors) who would want to go back, we’d just have to not screw up the rebuilding (we’d have to be very generous, and it’s in our interests to do so).

I don’t understand this view at all. Can you explain it further? I think sanctions certainly harm the population at large, so easing or ending them would help the population at large. It might also help bad actors (like corrupt governments), of course, but that doesn’t mean it won’t help the people.

To someone with a trillion-dollar-military, every problem requires a military solution, I guess.

(Also, the idea that the ‘exiles’ actually want to live in Cuba is absurd. A good many of the ‘exiles’ were born in and / or have spent their entire lives in the USA.)

Is that you George Dubya?

Oh god, how vile must be the hate of the cuba refugees that the only and entire reason USA still fight this tiny country with all the power a superpower is because the votes that small group of people.

Can’t they like… pardon, forget, move on?

Good lord, we’ve barely finished leaving Afghanistan. Can’t we wait, like, even a week, before we forget what a shitshow occupying another country is?

To them, they lost their country. It’s like how we feel if Trump was in power forever here.

Said folks are also massively politically influential in America, and could turn this country fascist.

This is as much about saving democracy here by flipping Florida (and if it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t consider this a good option), as it is helping the Cubans.

Cuba’s a tyranical dictatorship, but I don’t see the US attacking them militarily.

If you’re willing to murder people to win a state in an election, well there are much more direct options available and you don’t need to involve Cuba.

Again, the vast majority of Cuban-Americans never lived in pre-Castro Cuba.

I think we need to remember that Alstein doesn’t always make the best political policy maker. :)

Biden isn’t going to invade Cuba for some votes.

Never said invading now made sense. It doesn’t

I said if there was a legit massacre of protesters (like Tianammen-esque) or if the regime went full Myanmar, then it would be justified.

Then, you’d have two more problems to worry about

1. You need to make sure you’re not the ones in charge when it’s done, to avoid colonialism charges.

2. You’d need to make sure Cuban expats don’t mess it up. They’d want to shock doctrine the Cuban population.

My comment was more a statement that regime change in Cuba would help Democrats, and that if the Cuban regime gave us the excuse, it could be a good use of American force.

Don’t worry, I’m not going full neocon- I’m not saying we should manufacture the evidence. ^_^ My belief in use of force is that if it serves a clear strategic geopolitical interest that is worth the cost, and it’s morally justifiable- then it’s an option on the table.

I think I understood that just fine, and I’m still flabbergasted.