Cube world: Minecraft, sorta

Game still not playable on steam, mind you. But it is yours.

That honestly seemed really underwhelming. Everything looks very spartan and empty.

Hit me the same way. In an era with 1002983878273 Minecraft mods, that can turn the game into anything you can think of, what value does this have anymore?

This is finally coming out. I don’t follow games in early access, so I came into this thread for the first time since it was created. I guess everyone’s just really mad at the developer for taking this long? Is that the right tone of this thread?

I think it isnt that it has taken this long, but that there was basically no communication that whole time. For all anyone knew he just took the money and moved on.

No. It was buying an early access game, then having no communication or updates to the game for six years while the developer – radio silent on everything – would just periodically tweet screenshots or videos of features he had developed but never deigned to send to his customers.

A year is a long, long, time to go without updates on an early access game. Six years, with no communication or indication when if ever would actually release this stuff, is poor behavior and pissed a lot of people off, including me.

Starsector has been in development for nine years and hasn’t pissed everyone off because they communicate and release updates every now and then.

That’s kind of where I’m at. In 2013 it was looking like something special. While it still might be, these days I feel like I have a lot of options. I’ll still install it and check it out, but I’m really not that enthusiastic about the game anymore.

Release trailer

Too late

Some words I never thought I’d say - I played the full version of Cube World.

This game generates worlds faster than anything I’ve ever seen

Oohh, is the beta live?!

I’ve just encountered a hilled lake so not hard to see why. :)

Starsector is how you do lifetime early access , correctly!

Played for a while…

Not sure I’ll play again…

There is no learning curve, its a vertical line. A load of sub-systems that were in the Alpha have now been removed. Its like Wollay’s reaction to criticism was to get rid of them. I suppose its possible some features aren’t available in this beta though. Also, character progression is locked to regions.

Its a shame, the game still has bags of charm.

I’d find that very surprising, since it launches next week. I think this is just a soft launch for existing customers so he can work out any major problems before it goes live.

Region-based progression has always seemed like a terrible idea to me, but I’m reserving judgement until I see how it works in action.

I’ve died 50 times in 30 minutes. This is more like Cube Souls.

There’s no XP anymore and you’re way overmatched right out of the gate. I’m getting my a$$ handed to me by chickens and cows. Here’s how every battle plays out (as a Ranger):

1. shoot mob as it closes for melee
  2. do a little damage before getting killed
  3. respawn at Circle of Power (they are few and far between)
  4. Run back to mob, shoot again and whittle it down some more, possibly killing it but ending with few HP left for another battle…
  5. pick up a few coins and if you’re lucky a piece of gear that you can actually use
  6. repeat until you get a full kit of gear??? You don’t level up…

NPCs now give you quests to find special gear. It’s all by design, there doesn’t appear to be any procedural generation anymore.’ Hey, I hear there’s a pair of climbing spikes at SO and SO Farm!" Sure enough, a POI pops up on the map, run over there, find the spikes. Next NPC tells you to give to anbother POI for another Neat Thing and then you BACK THE WAY YOU JUST CAME for 10 minutes… and that’s where I got killed for 50th tiome and sent back to the one CoP I’d discovered.

Finally got to the next POI and there was a huge scripted battle and I was supposed to help the “good guys” that were outnumbered 20 to 4 but every enemy was way too much more me and I died aplenty. There was a new CoP nearby so I just get respawning and jumping back into the fray but I finally gave up and quit.

it’s a mess.

Given where the Alpha was, its really quite strange how its ended up here. I guess its an example of what happens when a game is developed in isolation and no feedback is solicited.

All these changes about removing XP progression make me super interested in this game. I’m kind of done with games working so hard to make it feel like my numbers are always going up.

Lot of thumbs up reviews before today…will be interesting to watch the tide shift…Steam discussions seem similar to what has been mentioned here.