Cube world: Minecraft, sorta

Hang gliding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729VkxC4Z6E&feature=player_embedded#!

New landscape screenshots. Freaking. Gorgeous.

New video! I want this now!

The hang-gliding is very cool! I don’t like the sound effects, but it’s something I can ignore if everything else comes together.

I miss it from Daggerfall in EVERY ES game since. those chimney style nailbiting climbs in dungeons were amazing.

On the good side, it looks like it might be interesting to explore.
On the very bad side, the game-play looks very MMO like, which I loathe.

How does it look MMO like? Looked pretty actiony to me, honestly.

And wow, I’ll be honest, I don’t recall climbing in Daggerfall.

daggerfall had climbing??! Why don’t I remember this?

The combat seemed somewhat mmo like. It was hard to tell from the video, but it looked like you had abilities like you do in MMOs.
It also seemed to have classes and levels.
Crafting timers.
I am not sure, but I thought I saw something like talent tree.

I didn’t see the players build anything in the world. That whole castle base, did it spawn or was it constructed by the players?

You it was hard, you could ‘slip’ it was a really cool but very non casual and frustrating mechanic. super satisfying if you climbed up a huge vertical shaft to escape a dungeon you just went too far down in.

Yes it did have climbing. And to Moore’s point, I remember using it to do just what he said. To escape some huge random dungeon by climbing a vertical shaft of some kind. Of course, once you got flying it was kind of pointless.

I never used magic except enchantments, didnt fit my character. I miss the boats too, and the world size.

DeepT, all RPGs have abilities don’t the, how does that make it specifically like an MMO? If it was an MMO, you’d hit a button and wait for combat to finish, which doesn’t appear to be the case here.

Moore, I do not recall this at all, and I played a shitton of Daggerfall. Wow.

I am sorry Brian, but I played a lot of MMOs until I was sick of them. When I was watching the players play, it started feeling like I was watching some kind of MMO video. However it did it, it hit several triggers which reminded me of an MMO.

I am looking for the next minecraft and from this video, this game seems to bear little resemblance to minecraft other than the whole cube aspect. Perhaps it is a lot like minecraft, but that video didn’t seem to show that.

Another MMO thing is that those games are all about bashing monsters. That is the whole point. Loot and crafting are all geared toward one thing, improving your ability to bash monsters. That video implied that is the primary activity of this game, which again, is not the point in minecraft. In minecraft, monsters get in the way if you doing things, they are not the purpose of doing things.

It was one of my most tense and exciting gaming experiences, heh, despite it really being staring very closely at an ugly wall texture that was slowly wiggling by for most of it. It really helped the world feel ‘real’ - so many games have dumb restrictions just to control player action, which is nearly a crime to me in an open world.

Don’t make a door I cannot open, a window I cannot break or something that a reasonable person might try to climb to escape certain death, even if risky, if I cannot climb it. (the worst? a 2 foot tall fence I cannot jump - too many games have those) We’ll get back there eventually I hope, once graphics and reasonably nice physics just hit a wall, which has to be soon since nearly everything looks just dandy now.

I really feel like procedurally generated stuff (the bulk of the world or city) mixed with hand crafted stuff (the story and quest stuff) can eventually show up and give me the perfect open RPG. Hopefully before I die ;) there is a crazy procedural city designer video showing a tool or engine for FPs titles on youtube that shows a randomly made city that generates every room, door, structure etc… for an entire city convincingly. Hopefully someone hired whoever the hell came up with it.
EDIT: This BLDGBLOG: Procedural Destruction and the Algorithmic Fiction of the City https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAtC0lpKKE38&ei=4u-LUerEC4W28wS8-ICwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEb05KnKzJPBn2enmE17epmBGZWaw&sig2=1LBmqlZLBHbJ3kiKhmGfmw

/end derail (sorry!)

Isn’t that, again, an “all RPG’s do this” thing?

Brain, by any chance are you one of those people who have either never or had a very limited experience in playing MMOs? I ask this because MMOs do this in a very certain way which is very unlike the way that good RPGs do it in. If you have not played MMOs at all or very much, then I can see why you do not “see” this aspect in this game.

While you do kill a lot of monsters / bad guys both in a RPG and MMO, the important distinction is WHY.

A good RPG has a compelling story. The bad guys are simply in the way. They are not the point of the game. The point of a good RPG is to explore the story and the world.

In an MMO, there is a very thin story, which is usually ignored, which is simply an excuse to butcher monsters by the dozen. The point in an MMO is Levels at first and phat lewtz later on. It is an endless cycle of phatter lewts to kill phatter monsters to get even phatter lewts to …

This game reminds me of a level and loot chase. From this video, that seems to be the point of this game.

I am very, very confused by you, DeepT. Very, very confused.

I understand what DeepT is saying, actually. The combat and crafting do look MMO-like.

Sorry Brian, “hit a button and wait for combat to finish” is a terrible description of MMO combat. They’re increasingly coming up with ways to encourage players to move around during combat. Which means it looks very similar to the Cube World video.