Culdcept Revolt

Just in time for the series’ 20th anniversary, Culdcept Revolt is coming out in North America and Europe this summer on the 3DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZJvJLJPnl0

I’m surprised by the game’s existence in the first place (though now I hazily remember some talk of a Japanese-only Culdcept sequel a while back), but this western release came completely out of left field for me. I literally almost dropped my phone when I saw the news.

Gematsu has the press release. Highlights include 400 unique cards (but are any new?) and online multiplayer.

I am totally stoked, since I’ve always thought the matches, which can stretch to several hours long depending on board type and number of players, was always ideally suited to handheld platforms. About a year and a half ago, I finally imported the Culdcept DS game (oh, look, I just found a region-locked 3DS version, too) and discovered I was 100% correct. Revolt seems to have the strengths of both Culdcept DS and the last western release, Culdcept SAGA on the 360.

It’s apparently been out in Japan since July of last year, but a cursory search for reviews has come up empty. Maybe it’s for the best. I would hate for my excitement to be tempered by bad news.

Why the hell cant they out this on iOS?

Nice! Culdcept PS2 is what led me to QT3 all those many years ago.

Hell yeah, great game.

Count me in if they ever release a proper mobile version for a modern platform instead of whatever proprietary tween nonsense they’re on about here ;)

I’m pretty sure you guys don’t want an iOS version, since it’d be far more likely to resemble the average mobage than a digital CCG.

The previous 3DS Culdcept game pulled me out of the series: I didn’t even know there was another one.
I am totally with @WarpRattler: so many horrible monetization prospects, I hope it stays clear of mobile platforms. I think they already introduce some overpriced in-app purchases in the 3DS version, but they were limited to cosmetic stuff, and not card packs.

Edit: Looked up some word of mouth, and it seems to be quite positive for this Revolt version. Whee!

Culdcept on the 360 was one of my all-time favorites. the 360 was a 2 game machine for me.