Cultist Simulator - Manage your Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Collaborating with another player on Cultist Simulator is a great idea! And doesn’t break that spirit of the game feeling like the game’s subject. Sometimes you need compatriots in your quest for dark truths!

True. His first texts were all “I’m obsessing about a game about obsessing”, and “I feel like the protagonist in Foucault’s Pendulum”. Heh.

Weather Factory released the Ghoul and Priest DLC’s a few days ago, which means that Cultist Simulator is now content complete. They’ve hinted that they may return to it in the future, but they don’t have any specific plans for more at this point.

I’ve returned once more to the Mansus as a priest, and I’ll be trying Ghoul next. I’m fascinated by this game (don’t worry, I counter with dread by occasionally browsing the p&r forum) and I really enjoy trying to piece together the lore as I progress.

They’re going to make some occult library management game next, and will be running a kickstarter later this year. I think I’m in.

I popped this up yesterday to check out the Priest or Ghoul and didn’t get the option to try the Priest or the Ghoul. So I played through a game as an Aspirant hoping to see something that might stand out as a trigger to get offered a new occupation… and I didn’t see it. Lost that game (I might have thrown it at a certain point) and started a new run and still didn’t get the new options. Pretty disappointing, because I have no idea how long it might take me or what I need to do to access the new content.

You need to lose a game to dread (ghoul) or fascination (priest). They also pop up randomly, so you can just keep dying, and you should get it eventually.

Wow, I’ve never even come close to dying to Fascination. But Dread gets me a lot. I’ll try again, but starting and purposefully losing over and over isn’t a great gateway, is it?

I’ve died to Fascination in New Game+. That rival god is a dick.

I wonder how long this will take to get to Android/iOS. I don’t think we even have the Dancer yet.

Fthek vzlag thtkadkuar azethoth nigzaerdhwroth!

Araise. I have around 20 hours in the game, and I am totally save-backup scumming full on hateable baby time mode now without shame.

Mostly because the early game has become trite and totally overdone. But I now know how to tread water AKA fend off all the gameover states, so I could restart but that takes too long…

Lantern clan all the way. Watchmen witness me!

I re-installed the game now that all the expansions are out. I liked the ghoul play through a lot; it did not start like I expected, and it ended up generating a lot of neat stories. E.g. you want to advance at your accounting job, so you murder your immediate boss. So far so hum-drum. But! As the ghoul, you then get to eat your boss’ corpse for psychic resonances, which makes the story approximately three times as good. It’s even better when your immediate boss happens to be the CEO’s son, and once the son is ingested you become the CEO’s new right-hand man and work innocently beside him for years. It’s a wonderfully fucked up game.

I finally got around to trying this. So, are you supposed to learn what things might do by putting a card or cards in the slots and reading the text to get ideas what the results may be? Since I’d never be able to remember anything I’d need to take notes about what cards can lead where.

I played for a bit over an hour and I’ve gotta say I don’t feel like I know much more than when I started.

Yes, it’s explicitly designed for you to try things out and figure them out. What does this card do there? What about this one?

My biggest problem with it was the lack of being able to have a permanent save and start off with a New Game+. I’m not playing all the way through again to do that. Fuck that noise.

I get the desire to discover as you go. Fits the theme well! But the card highlights when I click on an open card slot are just plain wrong sometimes. It’s infuriating.

I had a disciple I was trying to indoctrinate? promote? upgrade? and couldn’t figure out the combination of cards to add to achieve it.

I bounced hard off this one initially despite loving the theme, but I fired it up tonight on my Surface and found it works wonderfully as a tablet game. I’m still not wild about the real-time aspect, but the pause button fits comfortably under my thumb so I’m able to stop and resume with ease.

Apparently there’s DLC in my library–what’s up with that? Do I have to do anything special to access it?

Wait, it actually works well with touch controls now? I fired it up on my surface a couple months back, and there didn’t seem to be any change in that regard from the initial release. I even asked a question on the Steam forum about that, but no response. Having played it on my (8") Android tablet with really good touch controls, it was a huge pain going back.

I can’t speak to how it used to be, but it works great on my Surface Pro 3.

Also, figured out the DLC thing. Not sure how I missed that…

I got sucked into it for about two hours last night, and then ended up sneaking in another round before work this morning. I do wish that I could enable an auto-pause when a timer completes though.

Are you using the pen? Or just touch?

Just touch.

Here’s a thing. Weather Factory is releasing a tabletop RPG of Cultist Simulator this fall. I’m vaguely interested in it, but they describe it as “based on Chaosium’s Basic Role-Playing system – think Call of Cthulhu or story-driven DnD”. Meh. Of all the systems, they go with that mediocre one.

Which brings me to the next thing. Kennedy has just released a book on narrative, design, etc., “Against Worldbuilding”- on kindle or paperback.

It’s also going to be a big limited edition physical package with no mention at all of a digital release, which is frustratingly 1990s of them. I mean, I’m not really up for supporting Kennedy at this point (which sucks, his stuff is so good), but I’m not going to buy a physical RPG book for almost anything anymore.

Wow, yeah, the Chaosium system functions for Call of Cthulhu, I guess, but there is absolutely no reason to pick it to undergird any other setting.