Cultist Simulator - Manage your Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Starting playing this one.

On my firsts games I died of famine, depresión and that stuff. Is like I am playing a hardcore survival roguelike.

Things starting to improve once I starting taking the “rich kid” starting point. Life is much easier if you don’t have to work. With a lot of money I can buy drugs for sleep, or choose painting instead of a physical or boring job.

Two times I have been killed by getting asked by… something to offer a human sacrifice, and not having one ready (the last time, for 1 second).

I have yet to become a cultist. Or create a cult, or worship a old god. This game is brutal. Also apparently withouth a manual. It look like the game have some rules, but they are not explained to me.

It is very intentionally not tutorialized. The game is really about figuring out the mechanics. But that has put a lot of people off.

I have played three or four games, and I will admit I haven’t cracked it enough to feel like I know what I’m doing or how to be very successful.

Certainly put me off. I fumbled around for a few hours and then I felt other games that actually treated me like a person with other things to do than play games all day were more deserving of my limited spare time and attention. This game is my biggest disappointment of 2018.

I played it a bit more, and on my last game I managed to stabilize my life in the game. So I could basically live forever.
I manage to create my cult and gather a few believers and pawns. All of it, just by avoiding risks. It should not work like that. A game should not be about choosing the most safe options.

My opinion is that the game need a meta progression. Like modern roguelikes have. It could also use a “meta” level where the whole city and risk growns (like in the boardgame Arkam games).

There’s a big update coming in January 22nd that might scratch some of those itches. I couldn’t find any official info directly from the devs, but here’s something from PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/cultist-simulators-new-mode-lets-you-fight-immortals-and-become-a-god/

I didn’t have a problem with not being tutorialized, but imo the concept of the game itself is flawed. As you say it’s about figuring the mechanics, once you have done it, you are left with plate spinning simulator. I mostly got everything in 3 days, maybe four, and once I reached that stage I lost motivation to play more.
Not only the game is about figuring the mechanics, ironically, it’s really a very cold and mechanical game once you do it, and that affects the atmosphere and vibe of the game.
The grind and repetition from mid game onwards is also another flaw, another one that also affects negatively the atmosphere. At some point you start not reading the lore bits because of the repetition and you only ‘see’ abstract numbers.

Yea.

The game is a big polished game experiment, successful enough to ask people money, but not enough to be a thing.

If you don’t follow Alexis Kennedy on Twitter, you might have missed a kinda-announcement of his maybe-next game?

Basically he idly tweeted something about a Cultist Simulator-like game where you play the librarian in an occult library. I don’t think he was seriously considering it until the fans responded with a lot of enthusiasm. Or maybe he’s just a master marketer. He and his wife/cofounder then proceeded to fake-argue on Twitter about whether this out-of-the-blue game design was a thing or not.

Now it really seems to be a thing, at least something he’s going to be testing out. I think I could like it more than Cultist Simulator (which has remained opaque to me, but I do intend to return to it and give it more time).

Now out on Android and iOS.

I was just coming here to post that. This is so good. I’m playing on my ancient Nexus 7, and it runs flawlessly. I actually picked it up for my Surface last year, but there are no touch controls on PC- I had to use the pen for the UI, which was annoying. This is exactly what I wanted.

I am playing it on my comparatively antiquated Moto X 2nd Gen and it’s quite interesting. Too bad my phone’s battery is utter garbage these days.

I’m having fun with it, slowly uncovering secrets, trying to figure out wtf is going on. I do wish there were cloud saves so I could go from my tablet to phone and back when it suits me, but it isn’t a deal breaker.

I convinced a boardgaming friend who was a Fallen London fan to play (he actually texted me to say it was out!), and we’ve been texting each other with progress and hints for the last week. I haven’t been able to play for a few days, though, so I imagine he’s ahead of me now…

Collaborating with another player on Cultist Simulator is a great idea! And doesn’t break that spirit of the game feeling like the game’s subject. Sometimes you need compatriots in your quest for dark truths!

True. His first texts were all “I’m obsessing about a game about obsessing”, and “I feel like the protagonist in Foucault’s Pendulum”. Heh.

Weather Factory released the Ghoul and Priest DLC’s a few days ago, which means that Cultist Simulator is now content complete. They’ve hinted that they may return to it in the future, but they don’t have any specific plans for more at this point.

I’ve returned once more to the Mansus as a priest, and I’ll be trying Ghoul next. I’m fascinated by this game (don’t worry, I counter with dread by occasionally browsing the p&r forum) and I really enjoy trying to piece together the lore as I progress.

They’re going to make some occult library management game next, and will be running a kickstarter later this year. I think I’m in.

I popped this up yesterday to check out the Priest or Ghoul and didn’t get the option to try the Priest or the Ghoul. So I played through a game as an Aspirant hoping to see something that might stand out as a trigger to get offered a new occupation… and I didn’t see it. Lost that game (I might have thrown it at a certain point) and started a new run and still didn’t get the new options. Pretty disappointing, because I have no idea how long it might take me or what I need to do to access the new content.

You need to lose a game to dread (ghoul) or fascination (priest). They also pop up randomly, so you can just keep dying, and you should get it eventually.

Wow, I’ve never even come close to dying to Fascination. But Dread gets me a lot. I’ll try again, but starting and purposefully losing over and over isn’t a great gateway, is it?

I’ve died to Fascination in New Game+. That rival god is a dick.

I wonder how long this will take to get to Android/iOS. I don’t think we even have the Dancer yet.

Fthek vzlag thtkadkuar azethoth nigzaerdhwroth!

Araise. I have around 20 hours in the game, and I am totally save-backup scumming full on hateable baby time mode now without shame.

Mostly because the early game has become trite and totally overdone. But I now know how to tread water AKA fend off all the gameover states, so I could restart but that takes too long…

Lantern clan all the way. Watchmen witness me!