Cultured Code Things 3

I depend very much on Getting Things Done (GTD) app such as Cultured Code’s Things, to help me organised my day and prioritise my to-dos. I have been using Things, one of the most popular GTD app in iOS and Mac for years. I am pretty happy to see that they released a new version, Things 3, after what? More than 4 years? What’s your preferred GTD app. Are you a fan of Things too?

It’s funny, because a couple of weeks ago I reinstalled Things 2 on my iPhone in an effort to help myself be more productive with finishing my dissertation. I’d also been listening to Merlin Mann talking to Max Temkin about Omnifocus on their hilarious podcasts, Do By Friday. So I’d been waffling back and forth whether or not to dive into Omnifocus 2 or stick with Things.

And then yesterday I saw that Things has been updated to version 3 after people had been waiting years, so rather than spending $55 CAD on Omnifocus for iOS, I dropped $11 CAD on Things 3 and I look forward to getting back into the GTD groove. Gotta start with a big brainstorming session where I try braindumping all the possible tasks I can think of into the Inbox, followed by a sorting and prioritizing session.

Yeah, the whole idea of Things is to do a brain dump of everything into the app, and the categorising and prioritising it every day and then acting on those. I find that having a discipline to check my Inbox (of Things) every morning before I start work helps me get a clear idea of what I needed to get done.

I haven’t tried Things 3 yet though. My hesitation to buy this is because I have to buy all 3 platforms: iPhone, iPad and Mac. That’s a huge investment ($80 in total) and Things 2 is serving me just fine now.

I’m going to be getting review codes for the apps, so I’ll post the blog entry when I’m done.

It won’t be for a while. though. Grad School is kicking my ass.

Just FYI in case you are using Things3 for work purposes and need to create status reports on a regular basis. I have created an Applescript to do just that - you can download the code at https://github.com/CyberAdvisor/Things-Status-Reporter. Enjoy and let me know what you think.