Cuphead - 1930's cartoon side-scroller

As a fan of old Betty Boop cartoons I’m really interested in this. But is it an X360 exclusive?

Looks like Xbone, Steam, and the windows store because that’s still a thing.

It started as a boss rush until everyone freaked because they thought it would be a platformer. Probably added 3 years to the development time.

Oh wow, yeah. I had no idea. Here’s hoping it has the legs for a full-on platformer.

Just saw a targeted ad for this bad boy on Facebook, and it’s way up my alley. So it’s been long delayed already, eh?

Yes. Hand-inking the 30,000+ frames of animation too longer than they expected.

That’s a bold strategy, Cotton!.

[quote]
“My brother and I quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses and began expanding the team. This was our chance to actually deliver the game we wanted to make all along, rather than the cut-scope game we originally planned with a three person team.”[/quote]

But cliffski told everyone not to do that.

Sweet! I was under the impression it was an Xbox exclusive.

It was announced as a Play Anywhere title a while back. Heck, maybe from the beginning, I forget.

But the version on GOG wouldn’t be Play Anywhere would it? I think the confusion comes because people expected it to be Microsoft exclusive, (at least a timed exclusive) therefore not available on more open sources like GOG.

Ah, an MS platform exclusive rather than Xbox exclusive. Yeah, I doubt GOG is covered under that plan.

Late on this news I guess? It seems the person who was at gamescom for VentureBeat, is horrible at playing games that are like Cuphead. He died 30 times in the first level. Watching this video gives me a feel for what I am expecting my experience to be like also… :(

I am gonna wait for a hefty sale.

The level of love that went into creating the art for Cuphead means I’ll buy it, regardless of whether I ever play it. I hope the future brings more companies willing to invest the type of time needed to bring hand-crafted art into the world of games.

Also, the level of flailing in the tutorial is asinine. Read the text there and it’s pretty clear what you’re supposed to do.

Wow, that looks and sounds really good. I’ll likely get the Play Anywhere version of this at launch, as long as it’s not too expensive.

Even when he was futzing around over and over in the tutorial, the way the character was drawn made it look like something the character would do in a cartoon: repeatedly miss that he was supposed to use one block to jump to the other block.

$20. Not too bad.

In the games journalism thread, Perky Goth pointed out that this video could be delivering a false impression of the games difficulty. Might have a point.

On Twitter the video was used to denigrate games journalists as being unqualified to write about games when they’re bad at them. Pretty dumb argument that got shot down by a lot of journos and devs, but provoked a lot of conversation.

Perky Goths are like Highlanders. There can be only one.

I love the art, but the enemy explosions and out-of-nowhere spawning feel really retro, not necessarily in a good way. I will buy it for the art alone, but I hope the gameplay evolves as you go further into the game (also, the boss encounters do look interesting).