Cure for diabetes

I fear, sir, that there is no door save decency.

Rhino,

Out of curiousity, what’s your typical blood sugar readings at, and how much have you altered diet and exercise to compensate? I’ve seen some people that crossed over into diabetic and managed to “back out” of it with a pretty serious change of diet and exercise. I had one relative that was actually diabetic for like 10 days because she’s normally pre-diabetic but got a cold that pushed her into the 160s for 10 days and it was like, wham, diabetic. Cold went away, and she was back down into the high-end of normal and all the weird diabetic symptoms went away too.

Hopefully good news for me and my family. My grandfather and grandmother had diabetes and both died from complications. My mother has it and is going blind at age 62.

My sister has been diagnosed. I’ve been tested and am fine for now. The doctor says with the family history it’s a matter not of if but when, hopefully when I’m 70 not when I’m 40. I could really do without going blind, having my feet amputated, going through dialisis, and impotence when I’m old.

This, to me, is the most amazing part:

Diabetic mice became healthy virtually overnight after researchers injected a substance to counteract the effect of malfunctioning pain neurons in the pancreas.

Read that. Virtually overnight. Holy cow, that’s awesome.

My maternal grandfather* had Type 2. My Mom just got diagnosed with Type 3. Sooooo, hopefully no Type 1 here anytime soon. But still, it runs in the family.

• He also had 4 heart attacks, quadrupal bypass surgery, and 3 strokes (4, if you count the one that killed him) in his life, so he had other . . . issues.

Yeah. This wins “most awesome story of 2006” if you ask me.

That is great for your relative. There was a period where I had all the symptoms of diabetes and didn’t know what it was. It lasted for a couple of months and when I left spring training for college football, everything lined back out. I didn’t become full-blown diabetic for another 18 months or so.

With my sugars it depends, really. I can be really brittle. When I am doing everything right, I glide along between 100 and 170 post-prandial. When I am not, it can play floor-to-ceiling until I get back control. I feel like the Fed trying to manage a “soft landing” on a daily or even a per-meal basis.

I have probably experimented with every diet on the planet in relation to my diabetes at one time or the other. Atkins may have not been weight loss nirvana for the general public but it was awesome from a low carb product perspective. My diet is really tied to insulin/exercise levels. To say it can be tricky to get everything lined up is the understatement of the young century. The worst part about it is that you crave (or at least I do) the very worst things for you (in my case, french fries or potato chips).

Exercise I didn’t change at all because I was already working out fairly extensively when I became diabetic. That has varied over the years, and has really only been a struggle when I have been hurt in car wrecks, particularly the last one a couple of years ago.

Diabetes is exactly what you make of it. If managed right, you can minimize your chances of complications. I know people across the spectrum. One guy I used to work with is an 55+(I think) age-bracket champion triathlete with diabetes who is in great shape. Another guy kind of put his head in the sand when his doctors first started seeing signs and now has some pretty miserable pain from neuropathy. Either you control it or it controls you.

This isn’t probably what you were asking about, unless you were asking in hidden code to drag out my soapbox. :)

If this comes through, it might be the medical advance with the most effect since the invention of antibiotics.