Current state of processors for games

Lol, I read that incorrectly. That graph is not done well. My Vega 56 is bottlenecking my PC by 91%. New GPUs, get here already!

I’m still running an i5-2500k, not even overclocked, and at 1080p I’m doing fine for the time being. MS flight sim is probably gonna put a damper on that, though.

If I was running anything pre-haswell I would definitely upgrade immediately.

These are my desktop and laptop CPUs:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-A8-5600K-APU-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8130U/m1766vsm468020

GeForce GTX 750 TI

:sadface:

I’ve been running an Intel Core i5-3570K since August 2012 (now with a GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB) at 2560x1440, so I’m due for an upgrade. I’m considering two configs:

1. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with Radeon RX 5700 8 GB
  2. Intel Core i7-9700K with GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB (more expensive config)

Both with minimum 16 GB system memory.

I’ve researched the two configs, but any Qt3 input would be appreciated!

Or Ryzen 7 3700X with GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB

From a few weeks ago, I hadn’t really been following CPU news, wtf is Intel doing, this thing seems horrible other than for single core high speed needs.

I’m an Nvidia guy, but, man, the $500 price tag on that card makes me hesitate.

I’m also an Intel guy, but I’ve just about had it with their forced MB obsolescence when wanting to upgrade one’s CPU.

Yeah its sorta a bad time to get a new GPU, as the next gen cards are around the corner. And prices on current gen stuff haven’t dropped.

Intel’s Core i9-10900K still doesn’t match AMD’s halo 16-core 32-thread Ryzen 9 3950X in terms of threaded performance. Instead, the 10900K competes with the 12-core 24-thread Ryzen 9 3900X in terms of both performance and price, but Intel’s chip has the highest power consumption we’ve seen recently on the mainstream desktop. Intel pushes the 10900K’s TDP envelope up to 125W (a 30W gen-on-gen increase), but that’s only a measure of base power consumption. Intel rates the processor for 250W at peak performance, and we even measured peaks as high as 325W at out-of-the-box settings. Naturally, that results in a lot of heat.

Intel selling space heaters in the summer.

And it doesn’t come with a heatsink nor fan. ;)

Here we go, if you need a CPU today:

Why is that.

I think it had to do with the Spectre patching a few years back, causing double digit performance decrease on older CPU’s.

No matter which version of Windows, machines that use 2015-era Haswell CPUs or older will experience “significant slowdowns,” according to Microsoft. The company also expects that most users will be able to notice that performance degradation. Skylake CPUs and newer have more refined branch prediction, so the Spectre patch doesn’t influence them to the same degree.

That’s a nice article. So the Ryzen 7 3700X is the best value. Ryzen 5 3600X is the best mid-range CPU, and the Ryzen 5 3400G is the best super-budget pick if you can’t afford a video card (it’s a processor and video card combined for $90, good for 720p gaming).

I always recommend getting a CPU with integrated GPU, as if your video card does die, you still have a functional system to some degree. :)

If that is it, and that did occur to me, I am running Windows 10 and like I said I’m doing fine for now, performance-wise. Really the thing that’s probably the worst about my system is the 8GB of RAM, but even that hasn’t really seemed to limit me.

Yeah 8GB is alright, you do have a SSD right? That’s the best upgrade investment any PC can get.

Yeah, my i5-750 is doing fine, so is my 8GB RAM, my SSD, combined with a 980 Ti. The only question is how long can my motherboard and CPU last? Once either one dies, I’ll have to upgrade. Ryzen looks like a good option for when that happens. Hopefully it won’t be in the 2020 or 2021 timeframe though. I’m really hoping to use my money for a next gen console, and maybe a Switch in that time frame instead. But if a CPU or motherboard dies, it will have to be a new PC instead.

I do have an SSD. It’s amazing to me how long this system has lasted with only GPU upgrades. I remember the days (not very long ago!), as I’m sure most of you do, too, when your machine was behind the curve almost before you built it.