Current state of the art: Chromecast 2 vs. Amazon Fire Stick vs. Amazon FireTV?

Its 20 hrs!? …

And you probably can’t skip commercials, which defeats the whole purpose of using a DVR. Advertisers love this shift from Cable/Sat to streaming.

As expected, the YouTube app disappeared from Fire TV over New Year’s. But exactly as @stusser said, all I had to do was load Firefox instead and load up YouTube. Boom, functionality restored. I suppose Google got some press from their app removal announcement, but that appears to be the only real effect.

I recommend sideloading this app instead. It also blocks their ads, because fuck them.

I have the $35 CAD (promo from $50 regular) most basic Fire TV stick. Is there any way to sideload a Youtube app?

Yes, sideload the app I linked in January. Use Xplore to install it off a USB stick or SMB share, or use Silk/Firefox to download and install it directly from the site.

https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Cat-Games-X-plore-Manager/dp/B00LLG7AR8

Amazon page listing for X-plore says it’s incompatible with the Fire TV stick. I’ll try from the Firefox browser.

Oh, the CV thing? https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/

Yeah, not sure why that shows as his CV in Discourse. But yes.

Amazon provides a YouTube app, why sideload?

Not since Youtube withdrew it in their current spat with Amazon.

The one based on Firefox/Silk appears to work fine now. Think I’m missing something here.

I don’t blame Google at all. Amazon is refusing to sell what, every Google hardware product at this point to favor their own products?

Does it? It popped up a little mouse pointer last time I looked at it, before I retired my FireTV in favor of just putting ShieldTVs everywhere. Does it have the new YouTube TV UI?

Anyway, the app I linked also blocks most ads.

Jump in here with a FWIW: After using Chromecast and Chromecast 2 for a long time, and trying Amazon Fire, I’ve settled on the Roku system (Roku Ultra to be specific.) I miss being able to “cast” things directly from my phone like I could with Chromecast, but I’ve found it to be faster, less buffering, and we actually use a lot of the apps on it quite a bit more than we expected we would.

I’m not saying it’s the “best” just the one we settled on after trying the others for a couple of years.

Which Roku device?

I’m using the Roku Ultra. I have one of each of my three TVs. It’s overkill since I don’t currently have any 4K TVs, but I’ve been very happy with them.

Just picked up a TCL 6-Series TV over the weekend and I’m really liking the Roku OS as well. Very straightforward and easy to use/setup.

I do wish there were a way to broadcast from desktop PC browser window to a Roku on the same network. When I was, ah, watching the Olympics coverage on CBC because I am very much a Canadian citizen living in Canada and paying Canadian taxes, there was no good way to shoot it over to the Roku on my TV :(

Yep, I keep saying it, the Roku is the one you want.