Current state of the art: Chromecast 2 vs. Amazon Fire Stick vs. Amazon FireTV?

It’s built-in.

That’s cool, didn’t know that

Well. I’m really happy with my 3 Roku Ultra’s, so the last thing a gadget freak like me needs to hear is another option like this, LOL!

A good while ago, I bought that wired network adapter from google for your chromecast. It is supposed to let your chromecast use a cable instead of wi-fi for internet access. Anway, when I got it, I connected it. However, I think it is still using the wi-fi. There are times when my connection drops and then it display that it can connect to my wi-fi network, but not the internet and there are other small glitches in the internet service. The reason I got the physical setup is because the wi-fi reception where my chromecast is kind of shitty, not to mention there are like 30 wi-fi networks in my area.

Anyway, is there any setting or way I can verify its using the cable and not wi-fi?

Disable your router’s wifi? Or just get the Chromecast to forget the password.

I thought about the latter, although I am not quite sure how to do it. I guess I can play with the google home app.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7331010?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Just picked up a Roku Ultra. This thing is awesome. My Chromecast is now in my “old tech/cable” bin starting to collect dust. You can listen through the remote! Or your phone! It has a full featured media player that will stream from my PC’s hard drive! The app is highly functional and awesome! My only complaint is that remote takes AA’s instead of being rechargeable with a USB cable. I won’t even be using my PS4 for media anymore.

Yeah, once I set up Roku Ultra on all three of my TV/Media sets I stopped evaluating other options, I’ve got a box filled with Chromecasts, Chromecast 2s, and Fire Sticks.

Eneloops man. Save the earth! Easier to replace an eneloop every 6-12 months than to charge it all the time anyway.

Roku is awesome. Just a great device that does what it does with very little fuss or Google vs. Amazon shenanigans. I hope they can stay in the streaming game with the big $$$ players.

I am skeptical. REPORTED!

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d bump this. I just got notified by Roku that my box is being obsoleted come Dec. 1st. It is old, the first of their HD boxes, but it works find so this planned obsolescence is annoying.

So… all I stream now is Netflix. What should I get to replace this Roku? I don’t have a smart TV, so I need to buy something. I like Roku but have no knowledge of what’s best nowadays, including no knowledge of the streaming hardware named by the OP. I’m also tempted to try a different brand just to spite Roku for obsoleting my box, but they probably all do that. Thoughts?

On Monday you can get an Amazon Fire TV stick 4K for $25(early Black Friday). It has everything you need and you can’t beat it at that price.

Great, thanks!

You can get a Roku Express for $25 as well. Some owners of older Roku devices can also get it for $15 direct from the Roku website so it might be worth logging into your account there to check.

And to be fair to Roku, it’s Netflix that is obsoleting their oldest hardware by raising their requirements. I was worried about the oldest Roku I have might be getting cut off, too, but the Roku 2 XD I bought in 2011 is still good to go. Basically no one has been making streaming boxes as long as Roku so they were inevitably going to have their devices lose support first. Getting more than 8 years out of a $70 device is pretty impressive for any kind of tech.

I really would just get an up-to-date Roku. They’re the best of the bunch still. My Roku is one of my favorite media devices. It just works well and does everything I want it to.

I realize now that is what I’m facing. The email I got was from Netflix, not Roku, stating that my Netflix channel is going away on the device come Dec. 1.

Agree. I’m really not upset by this. Particularly with replacements so cheap.

Thanks. I will probably do that, I’ve had their hardware now for ages (this HD one is my second and I can’t even remember what year I bought it).

I logged in but couldn’t find this. I’ll keep looking. But $25 or $30 is not bad. I may also wait for Black Friday deals.

Thanks everyone!

I am expressing my agreement with this as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just ordered the highest end Roku, which - thanks to this being the blackest of Fridays - is now half price.

Glad I waited until today to decide.