Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I’m sure he’ll recover

Well indeed, which is why I struggle to get excited by them. So I was a bit surprised by the gushing response the Cyberpunk one got, especially when (more) people had been suitably restrained at other non-gameplay trailers. Maybe it’s just because we’ve been so starved of concrete Cyberpunk info, but I didn’t feel like I knew much more than before after watching it, and I certainly don’t know anything about the game’s systems. I trust CDPR to build an interesting world. I want to know how it plays.

Game Informer was at the Cyberpunk closed event.

Oh, I didn’t know it was an FPS. But I probably haven’t been keeping as close an eye on the game as I should.

Yeah, that also stuck out for me. Here’s hoping he just mislabled it?

I mean if you want good gunplay you almost have to be an FPS and I assume a Cyberpunk game is going to have a lot of guns.

Nope. I’m seeing bits from others at the event confirming it. FPS gameplay 3rd person cutscene and dialog.

Another question answered. Vehicles.

Keyphrase activate!

Reiner made my list!

With that said, it sounds like journos are seeing actual gameplay footage, and they sound kinda blown away. So that’s cool.

So this is looking more and more like Cyberpunk GTA.

Which I am OK with being done by the developers of the Witcher series, I just hope they don’t take 3 games to go from janky to good for the combat systems, especially given the level of change involved in going from swordplay and magic to cover base gunplay.

I stopped buying collector’s editions of anything but the Witcher 3 bought so much good will with me I probably will in this case. Hoping they don’t do a $200+ edition though, that would suck to explain to the wife.

I guess the one thing I don’t get about the GTA thing – hey surprise, there are vehicles in both games – is that Cyberpunk is clearly with great emphasis, a role-playing game. I’m guessing skill trees, dialogue choices, and like every CDPR game, choices that greatly affect the game’s story and worldset.

I mean, GTA is great and all, but that ain’t GTA.

Hopefully, the FPS gameplay isn’t as janky as the FPS mode in GTAV.

Hopefully you can still dodge-roll all over the place, now in first person! ;)

Hopefully, because I dislike GTA games. Their mission systems are full of ‘do it again stupid’ style GOTCHA!’s.

As for FPs? I dislike them, but if the RPG angle is good enough (see Mass Effect) I can tolerate them.

But where is my sword gameplay? Gimme that street samurai class and I’ll be happy. Also the ability to take alternative paths to combat.

It’s the obvious mental model is all. It’s also very easy to strap on all those things you mentioned on top of GTA, at least from an armchair game designer perspective.

Except perhaps " choices that greatly affect the game’s story and worldset." But outside of character interactions and conversations the world didn’t change much in the Witcher 3 did it? Certainly nothing that I can think of that couldn’t be done in a GTA clone easily enough.

For me what’s going to matter is that basic game play loop of find quest->resolve-> upgrade character. Resolving the quest is the most important part, usually combat, but it has to be balanced with the upgrade system so that the perpetually dangling carrot delivers rewards that meaningly cycle back into the resolve portion. Whether that’s gun upgrades, hacking powers, etc. GTA has this to a degree but never enough to keep me playing anywhere near as long as the Witcher or other RPGs.

Saint’s Row was pretty good at this at least in comparison to GTA but the genre still has a long ways to go.

NM, already over. Blinked and missed it.

Well, your choices affected gameplay throughout, which characters you interacted with regularly, how their stories played out, how your story played out, which towns sprang back up on the map and which stayed monster-controlled…

…and then in The Witcher 2, the entire MIDDLE SECTION of the game was completely different based on a single decision you made.

FPS.

Not my favorite acronym when it comes to RPGs.

So I guess I’m not thrilled, but since Fallout New Vegas managed to be a good RPG despite the first person perspective, I’m still hopeful.