Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Everything about this game is 100% want for me. If it wasn’t from this studio, I’d assume the game I eventually get to play will fall short in some way, but it’s CD Projekt, so yeah fully amped for this.

It wouldn’t an RPG without numbers flying out of enemies!

Immersion was cited as the reason for first-person. I think it has everything to do with how cybernetics are going to work. sensor overlays and enhanced-vision like zoom that’s implant-based (see the Kiroshi scanner mentioned in the GI writeup) and maybe entirely different vision modes (e.g. infrared) seem to me like they would work much more seamlessly in first person.

I think another great reason that they did first person is it differenitates this series from The Witcher. They’re building franchises here, and the way to do that best is to have things work rather differently between games with your core strength (in their case, RPG design) at the heart of the game but played from a different perspective in a whole different world, etc.

It’s just plain smart game making.

I caught up on what they announced, the trailer and a few of the write ups from people who saw back stage.

I am hyped and in pretty much DO WANT NOW mentality.

Hayden did a full write up and he is not mincing words

Straight up: Cyberpunk 2077 is the most impressive game demo I’ve ever seen.

Listen, I’ve played a lot of video games in my life. Almost 30 years of them at this point. I know what a “city” looks like in video games, and I’ve watched that definition evolve over the years. I remember when Morrowind’s towns seemed bustling, and Oblivion after that. I remember watching a trailer for the original Assassin’s Creed and being stunned how large and crowded it was. I remember driving around Grand Theft Auto V and being in awe of the traffic and the number of unique pedestrians.

So I’m deadly serious when I say: I didn’t think Night City was possible. Not yet, at least. I literally didn’t think the technology existed. What I saw during CD Projekt’s demo was astounding.

I remember seeing a demo of The Witcher 3 back in 2013 though and having that same “They can’t possibly pull this off” feeling. And while The Witcher 3 did change quite a bit before release, it was mostly minor nitpicks—I remember forum threads about the stone walls being less detailed. The core of The Witcher 3, the parts I thought were impossible, ended up just as CD Projekt said.

Poking that hornets nest!

I’m glad the player character is named V. I may have mentioned this on Qt3 before, but a player character with a common name is probably my number one pet peeve in RPGs. It’s the worst thing about Alpha Protocol (mitigated by the fact that Mike Thornton isn’t probably his real name.) It’s the reason I haven’t brought Kingdom Come: Deliverance yet.

I don’t want to roleplay as a character with the name of someone I hate, and I hate everyone.

This is why Bethesda games always give you a title, so you can name your character Farts McToots, as God intended.

Actually yeah, Farts McToots is the exception. Love that guy.

New concept art:

And a couple new screenshots from the demo:

I’m thrilled that you get to create your own character. “The Witcher” would have been better if it had been “A Witcher,” at least for me :)

I’m really looking forward to Oblivion with guns.

I disagree, if only for the fact that I never could have created a character as cool as Geralt.

I kinda regret watching the trailer and reading the demo write-ups. Before, this was something I wasn’t super excited about, but would almost certainly buy and play. Now, I can’t stop thinking about it.

They already have my money. They just need to tell me where to send it.

You and me both, man. Holy crap I’m stoked for this.

I will be ordering the most extensive Collector’s edition as soon as available + preorder day 1 on GOG.com and steam…just like I did with Witcher 3. I like to reward good work of this level.

Joe interviews Mike Pondsmith and Kyle Rowley (formerly from Remedy)