Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I honestly don’t think so. I have watched probably dozens of interviews with Marcin Iwinski and others at CDP. They are not in this business for money - not primarily. Of course it is a nice sideeffect of making best games in the world, that they also happen to earn.

Just yesterday I saw this one

When you are launching a console, you want to launch it with console-selling games. Did you all watch E3? Did you listen while Phil Spencer laid out all the new developers they now have making games specifically for Xbox? Have you noticed who is in a distant second place? Do you know how much money Microsoft has? Have you compared that to how little CDPR has by comparison?

Do you remember how much Microsoft paid for Minecraft?

Everyone has a price. Microsoft needs to sell consoles. They don’t need to buy the company, just console exclusivity.

Yes, keep that fantasy. It still ain’t gonna happen. CDP have zero rational reason for it.

If MS could have bought them (even just exclusivity), they would have already.

This is seriously wrongheaded. Microsoft was divesting their development until just recently. Under previous leadership, they axed everyone. Winds have changed over there. Don’t be surprised if it affects this game somehow.

What is wrongheaded is thinking that CDP would be willing to throw their reputation with gamers down the toilet for money they don’t need, actually.

Just let him have this. We all know it’s not going to happen, but let him dream.

So you’re saying the game is no good if it becomes console exclusive? They throw away their reputation for making great games because they decide that they like the idea of an extra 100 million to only put the game on Xbox or PlayStation?

The game is great or it isn’t. That’s independent of platform exclusivity.

CDPR are already doing partnered PR videos with Sony and Playstation official accounts in Asia and Europe for Cyberpunk77

So yeahno.

Do you seriously not get that they would piss off significant part of their customers if they prevented game’s release on any one platform artificially, for money they, once again, do not need?

Of studios, not games.

From an E3 interview:

Pondsmith replied very quickly with “I’ve waited 30 years to get to this and it was worth it. You guys can wait a few more years, it will be worth it.”

Everyone likes more money. I realize these guys are darlings to many on this board, but I think you’re being terribly naive. This game isn’t close to release but it’s had a stellar showing that wowed a lot of people. If you don’t think Sony and Microsoft aren’t offering big barrels of cash to them and they’re not thinking about taking it, you’re just fooling yourself.

You all are going to look awfully silly when this comes out as an Nintendo exclusive.

Dammit, where’s the like button?

Yes, fuck logic and 25 years of company’s history. There are console wars to be fought!

Nah. That’s not a fit. Sony or Microsoft will get some sort of exclusive with it. Mark my words.

Dude. Sarcasm detector is offline.

Hey, this little aside made me realize how similar JonRowe and Misguided’s avatars are. I consider that a net positive.

Hah, I hadn’t noticed that. I could always change to this:

Some people also recognize that “getting the mostest money possible in the short run” can be short-sighted.

Fortunately for CDPR, the path to the most money is the one they are already on. CDPR publish their own games. They made absurd bank - likely 9 figures, although 10 is possible (yes, that’s right, a BILLION DOLLARS) - on the Witcher 3 PC release alone. In 2016 they said it had sold 10M+ copies across all systems.

“Everyone has a price” is a phrase that is low on substance.

This has nothing to do with CDPR being “darlings to many on this board”, you cotton-headed nini-muggins. It has to do with the actual history of the company and all the shit they have said, and are currently saying. It has to do with the facts of CDPR’s existence - the 33M+ copies the Witcher Series has apparently sold across all systems.

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012. It’s been in development for over 6 years as of this time. It is closer to release right now than it is to the midpoint of it’s development cycle. It might be two years from being in our hands, but that’s nothing given how long they’ve been working on it.

Nobody thinks that Sony and Microsoft aren’t trying. Of course they are. They can try all the want. The Witcher 3 alone sold 7M+ copies on consoles (as of 2016ish, anyway; and “consoles” being PS4/Xbox 360). I can’t speak to the price for all those sales but I can speak to them still making CDPR absurd amounts of money.

Everybody thinks that the big barrels of cash they are offering are likely to be inadequate given that Witcher 3 allegedly sold over 7M copies on consoles circa 2016. The only sell to use on CDPR is risk mitigation. The problem with that sale is that CDPR are their own publisher and The Witcher series has already sold 33M copies world wide, apparently. CDPR has already purchased each employee one money hat for every day of the year.

The price is likely to be exorbitant on a level that even Sony and Microsoft would say “my, that’s exorbitant”. And even if Sony or Microsoft is willing to meet it, it still may not be worthwhile for CDPR to do it. Because while there is always risk - the game could turn out to be garbage, although I doubt that - they’ve already made a zillion dollars doing this.

They love story telling, single player gaming, and the PC. The quality of their games (even the super quirky Witcher 1), and their gamer-friendly stances on a number of issues, have certainly earned them widespread adulation. And deservedly so. Microsoft can Sony can pitch whatever they want. CDPR can literally sit in those meetings and just light large piles of cash on fire and say “whatever”. CDPR are in a very rare position.

They may decide to go for a console exclusive. But it seems unlikely to the point of comedy.