Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Microsoft could buy CDProjekt if they wanted. Argue all you want, they could do so if they wanted to spend a destructive amount of money. Now, they wont, but they could.

Man, we need some new info about this game in the worst way. Three more years of this?

All new trailers, interviews, etc. are Origin exclusive.

As PC gamers we don’t usually give a shit about the vagaries of the Virtual Boy exclusive content available only at GameStop, so you’ll have to forgive us for our confusion whenever you throw the word “exclusive” around.

I think we can all move on now.

We all know you own an Xbox One, Tim.

I wish, but don’t think that will be in the cards. So the question becomes whether I end up building a new computer at that point or buying a console.

Not until those layabouts give me Ninja Gaiden II at 60 fps!

That’s more like it. Use that anger, man.

I would say that you cannot buy what the other person doesn’t want to sell (and CDP management do not want to sell, that much is certain). On the other hand, they are a public company now, and if someone wanted, I suppose they could try to buy majority shares available. CDP at least try to mitigate such possibility:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/cd-projekt-red/259934/cd-projekt-red-denies-rumors-of-a-hostile-takeover-attempt

“As for the rumor, it emerged after the Board suggested introducing a voting cap during the upcoming shareholder meeting. However, the proposal is not a reaction to any current events affecting CD PROJEKT. Rather, it is meant as insurance against future hypothetical scenarios which may never materialize. We wish to safeguard the interests of minority shareholders in a hypothetical case where a major shareholder emerges professing a business and strategic vision which conflicts with ours.”

Sure, but I’m positive people sell things they don’t want to sell all the time. I’m not talking about a standard deal. Microsoft has enough money to persuade governments. Microsoft has enough money to ruin someones life, many times over.

And this is the hypothetical that Dave is referring to. It’s not that anyone thinks this is going to happen, but if I were to HAVE to choose, I’d say MS could probably pull it off.

Sure, feel free to think that. Based on my knowledge of the company I will disagree that any monetary offer could convince them, though I am sure something like gun to a head or kidnapped family would. Hopefully MS won’t go to such lenghts :p

Convince who? Only private companies need to be ‘convinced’. Public companies are obligated by federal law to do what is best for their shareholders.

Jerry Yang tried to derail Microsoft’s bid (62% premium on their stock price) because he wanted to be an industry titan like Jobs. He knew he could not simply reject the offer, so he tried to make Yahoo an undesirable target via changes to employees’ pension plans.

Investors sued Yahoo in federal court. Jerry was forced out, and Yahoo had to both pay up and change their bylaws.

The days when companies took money from the general public with no strings attached ended with the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Of course CDPR is Polish, so there may be variations on how all this works over there. Under American law, a public company simply cannot get away with rejecting a sufficiently large offer.

That’s a weird thing to say given your position in this thread.

2clmmk

Here’s a different take from Keza MacDonald over at Kotaku.

I figured I would be immune to her anti-hype, but then she had to go and mention Altered Carbon.

A coworker of mine got in to see the demo. His first person account - and seeing his enthusiasm and the look on his face as he described the demo - that’s what has me hyped more than anything. Apparently, the “I can’t believe this is even possible” and “Totally a real city” descriptions are spot on. Also, I hate him because he got to see it in person.

This is the opposite of the time @tomchick and I went to see the Skyrim demo and he cackled about how the horses looked like ponies the whole time.

Interesting. I do not know the specifics of polish law when it comes to such a buyout. I would hope that CDP know what they are doing and safeguard their independence sufficiently, given that’s one of their main principles. Their share value has risen by over 1200% in the last 5 years and it seems after Gwent and Cyberpunk, it will keep growing significantly. I’d hope shareholders also see that and wouldn’t be in favour of a sale.

Interesting. She complains that she liked the sunny vibe of the trailer, and the demo instead showed “standard” cyberpunk. Meanwhile just yesterday I watched a podcast with Bětka Trojanová (CZ host of gaming TV show) who also saw the demo, and she said how dismayed she was with the trailer, reminding her of more Ready Player One than cyberpunk, only to proclaim Cyberpunk 2077 her game of the show after she saw the actual demo.

Regardless of their obligations, a board of a public company can’t stop a hostile bid. They can and do put “poison pills” in, but a sufficiently determined bidder can just pay enough to convince a majority of shareholders to sell.