Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Oh, that’s right. They have no way to have vehicles do anything but drive in a predetermined route.

This tone-deafness might be a sign of poor editing and overambition. Bethesda and Obsidian games often have this contrast too. Fallout 3 has a lot of poor and dumb writing and dialogues, but it also has very well written parts (like president Eden speeches). Skyrim is populated by the most boring people in high fantasy, but the lore and some quests are golden. Pillars of Eternity has interesting lore and evocative vignettes but also walls of boring text (the sequel is better but non-faction NPCs are even more forgettable). CP2077 has genuinely touching main story and ending, as well as some interesting quests like Jesus impersonator, but apart from that you have lolrandom quests about crazy taxi and remorseful cop who lost his turtle. Very uneven and unfocused.

There’s one side mission (the cyberpsycho in the clothes shop) where Maxtac show up and have a bunch of custom dialogue. I think they have one of the flying cars outside of the shop as well.

Yeah, they show up in the cop companion’s final mission too, as I recall. They don’t fly in though, they’re just there afterwards.

Asset reuse! ;)

Good point. I haven’t been to Prague in quite some time, but I do remember the city being a hell of a lot more interesting than in the game. I distinctly sort of remember stumbling back to the hotel one night with some friends after a long round or several in some sub-basement like beer hall. We ended up roaming through some ancient cemeteries, which in the dark and rain were pretty damn spooky. Well, not to mention the beer we had consumed didn’t help much I’m sure.

Oh, I’ve been to Prague. Well, I haven’t “been to Prague” been to Prague, but I know that thing, that, "Stop shaving your armpits, read the Unbearable Lightness of Being, fall in love with a sculptor, now I know how bad American coffee is thing… "

Real Cyberpunk is lots future-shock mixed with lots of noir.

Like everything else, what we ended up with was lots of surface imitation presented without understanding the muscle and guts underneath, all wrapped up packages calling themselves cyberpunk.

In short, all hackneyed copycat jobs by designers desperately trying to pull off “k3wl h4x0r” stuff that was hella cool when they were 14. CP2077 reeks of suburban kids, with braces and who never missed a meal, trying to describe what futuristic, gritty street life is like.

And I am paraphrasing myself here when I say, "That’s a good post "

Which is odd considering where it was made any by whom. Unless there is parts of Poland full of braces wearing spoiled suburbanites? I think it leans more gritty streets but i haven’t been in 20 years.

I don’t disagree it was a bit of missfire, just not sure your reasoning makes sense.

Is that Eric Stolz (sp)? That dude kinda fell off the face of the Earth, didn’t he?

He plays one of the great bartenders in movie history in Kicking & Screaming, which Lantz and I were goofing on earlier.

We live in a global village. In my country police is authoritarian terror tool and yet I totally understand all the Hollywood movie tropes about the police you see in the game. And the game with the genre in the name is doomed to consist of familiar tropes.

Zoomed out minimap incoming.

I’m amazed they finally did it, 9 months of intensive development, their commitment to fixing a problem immediately evident upon release is nothing less than legendary.

Yeah, it’s kind of ridiculous. I expected better from CDPR.

In the beginning of the year, my attitude towards CP2077 was that it was obviously a hugely flawed release but that CDPR would do the work, fix the problems, and start releasing tons of free content. This was not an unreasonable expectation based on the past. But they really haven’t done any of that. It’s the same game now 9 months later.

Again I liked CP2077, I enjoyed my time with it. It wasn’t what they promised, but it was a neat if fairly buggy game. I hoped it would evolve into something more.

As soon as they released that first roadmap it was clear there was not going to be a ton of free content or major gameplay changes any time soon.

That roadmap was amorphous, it said “tons of stuff in H2 2021”. You could read whatever you wanted into it, I was optimistic. As you surely know I’m a super happy glass half full kind of guy.