Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Give me a Dune RPG.

Goddamn right. That should DEFINITELY be a game.

Me either. I keep trying, then going back to a PC version. HZD plays well on the PC for me. Plus aiming a ranged weapon doesn’t suck with an actual mouse.

One can hope with the movie coming out this fall.

That’s a good reason to pickup a tablet, then you can play on the TV and still lookup low-carb recipes ;-)

I tried to give this another go but gave up after a couple of hours. Maybe it’s just bad luck on my setup, but it’s still jank-city. There’s so much pop-in, like every time I switch to my assault rifle and shotgun they’re briefly invisible before shimmering into existence. My car kept turning upside down, and flips across the road causing chaos when I reload a checkpoint. The pedestrians put up as much resistance as holograms, lacking any sense of presence or weight - you can just run through them. It was silly of me to entertain the thought a studio could switch from their core competence of making story-rich, 3rd person RPGs to pulling off a first-person, open-world RPG-shooter and nailing it on the first go, but it’s hard not to be disappointed by the shape this is in nearly a year after launch. I guess that’s the cost of a development team trying too many new things at once. Because I’ve already paid for it, I’ll give it one more shot after the next-gen update releases but I’m not feeling optimistic about its prospects at this point.

Next gen version delayed to Q1 2022. So nearly 1.5 years from the original release. What do they do with their time?

That’s good news. We were saying upthread that whatever big improvements they’re going to make, they should make them and launch them with the next gen version, as it’s their chance to make a good first impression again.

Cyber-womp, womp.

Great news that they delayed it. By the time it’s released I may have an opening to play and need a game for my PS5. But wow, I just realized that it’d hit when I already have GT released. Different types of games, for sure, but GT is a time sink.

Witcher 4? ;)

They can’t get out next gen Witcher 3.5 (they delayed the nex gen version of it as well) apparently the old girls still has some milk so Witcher 4 is a ways off I would guess.

Tim Rogers returns after a nine month absence with a seven-part Cyberpunk review.

That seems like a lot of parts. What’s the tl;dr?

It’s been out for about 30 minutes, so no one knows yet.

Seven parts, obviously one video was insufficient to express the degree to which he loved the game.

I was mistaken. There’s a hidden, unlisted eighth part for the conclusion. No wonder it took forever to finish this project.

Edit: I’m making my way through the intro video and his long detours into his personal history, hoping for a Blade Runner GTA game since 2001, and the absurd/wholly unnecessary background research he put into making this long-form essay is quite entertaining. The framing device he’s applied to the structure is quite novel. Rogers has set it up as a choose your own path-style adventure, similar to Cyberpunk’s multiple choice endings, so you’re encouraged to pick one of the key features below and then jump to the bottom line.

“I don’t want to hear any complaints that this video is longer than the last one. If you watch it correctly, it’s not!”

At first, I was like, “oh, it’s just over an hour. I guess Tim is slipping.”

Then I saw the playlist.

Stuff moved to Q1 2022.