Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Q: Didn’t you test old-gen consoles to keep tabs on the experience?

A: We did. As it turned out, our testing did not show many of the crashes you experienced while playing the game. As we got closer to launch, we saw significant improvements each and every day, and we really believed we’d deliver in the final day zero update.

Sorry, CDPR. I will never believe the bolded bit. There is no way you played the pre or launch version on the last-gen consoles and didn’t run into a ton of bugs right out of the gate.

In theory, I could understand in-house devs and testers sticking closely to a critical path and only fixing things that were noticed on that path… But that would still be unconscionable for an open-world game.

Yes, this part had made me laugh.

If you replace “believed” with “fervently hoped and prayed and halfway-convinced ourselves it would happen”, I’d buy that.

What’s next gen version? Special for PS5?

I wouldn’t. They’re lying through their teeth.

If they were talking about PC it’d be slightly more believable, but with consoles they’re using the same hardware everyone else is using, so yeah, I’m not buying it either. I rarely say this about a dev, but they certainly do seem to be lying in this case.

Yes. PS5 and Series X|S specific versions.

There’s a new roadmap out today which is less specific than any we’ve seen previously. It basically says “see you sometime next year”. So don’t hold out any hope of patches or content until the next gen version is released. I think it’s fair to infer they are going for a re-release / director’s apology edition.

Still better than Star Citizen’s roadmap!

I see you’ve worked on a project as it approaches release before!

I watched the “What I Liked” video, and I think I am going to get a PS4 copy now. It’s everywhere half price already, I think the greater bugs should be fixed. From the videos, I get the impression that there are really great side quests in it, where you go down a deep rabbit hole. I like that.

I think I should watch the didn’t like video, next.

Oh, at least on the PC it’s definitely worth half-price for sure. Lots of fun to be had if your expectations are modest. Even on the PS4 you should get your money’s worth.

Short summary of his didn’t like video:

1. The game is so full of bugs you can’t possibly hope for it to be fixed to a satisfactory degree. You should be prepared for it. A lot of the game is about glitching software and AI so he goes at length to explain how the game is broken can be explained as an artistic choice. That’s a half-hour joke basically.
  2. Basically whole combat design is poor. Early on he discovered a tactic that allowed him to beat every encounter in a very boring and predictable manner. He didn’t even put any points in character progression to make it work. I’ve used completely different tactic but I can confirm that combat balance is not there at all. You can put all the skillpoints into a specific playstyle and it would still be less effective than some obvious tricks.

Oh, no doubt, the game has serious flaws. Like, OMG WTF were they thinking type of flaws. That being said, I found it possible to if not ignore then at least set aside a lot of the crap and just run around Night City loosely following missions and stuff and having a lot of fun. I played for something like 167 hours and certainly got my money’s worth. But yes, the game itself is, shall we say, not a sterling example of the game developer’s art.

Hah, can you imagine if they tried to charged for it?

A $15 used copy plus the free upgrade should be quite a nice deal.

I hope the major expansion is quest content and doesn’t have them trying to shoehorn things like police chases in somewhere they don’t work…

Great interview about an aspect that has been mostly overlooked in favour of the drama but that heavily contributes to making C77 so brilliant for me

I think my very first disappointment in CP2077 was when I took off my clothes and then looked down to see that… I was still wearing clothes.

So I’m not sure they’re really qualified to opine on the matter.